Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, April 10, 2010

And The Answer Is.....

Congestive Heart Failure. So after another trip to the hospital last Saturday (April 3rd... and my third stay since the end of January), we finally know why I keep getting short of breath, feel so tired, and generally feel poorly. While I'm not happy with the diagnosis, and believe it or not, was somewhat surprised by it, I can at least move forward from here. Just for everyone's knowledge, I've posted an overview of what life is beginning to look like for me. I'm feeling fine right now... and I would really like it to stay that way. ☺ I've highlighted everything that pertains to my situation in red so it's easier to figure out what I've been feeling.
Heart failure, also called congestive heart failure, is a condition in which the heart can no longer pump enough blood to the rest of the body.

Common symptoms are:
* Shortness of breath with activity, or after lying down for a while
*
Cough
*
Swelling of feet and ankles...... (for me this was very minimal)
* Swelling of the abdomen
* Weight gain
*
Irregular or rapid pulse..... (all the time)

* Sensation of feeling the heart beat (palpitations).... (feels like butterflies fluttering)
* Difficulty sleeping
* Fatigue, weakness, faintness
* Loss of appetite, indigestion

Other symptoms may include:
* Decreased alertness or concentration
*
Decreased urine production
* Nausea
and vomiting
* Need to urinate at night

Some patients with heart failure have no symptoms. In these people, the symptoms may develop only with these conditions:

* Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmias)
* Anemia
* Hyperthyroidism
* Infections with high fever
* Kidney disease

Treatment

If you have heart failure, your doctor will monitor you closely. You will have follow up appointments at least every 3 to 6 months and tests to check your heart function. For example, an ultrasound of your heart (echocardiogram) will be done once in awhile to see how well your heart pumps blood with each beat.

You will need to carefully monitor yourself and help manage your condition. One important way to do this is to track your weight on a daily basis. Weight gain can be a sign that you are retaining fluid and that your heart failure is worsening. Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day and on the same scale, with little to no clothes on.

Other important measures include:
* Take your medications as directed. Carry a list of medications with you wherever you go.
* Limit salt intake.
* Don’t smoke.
* Stay active. For example, walk or ride a stationary bicycle. Your doctor can provide a safe and effective exercise plan based on your degree of heart failure and how well you do on tests that check the strength and function of your heart. DO NOT exercise on days that your weight has gone up from fluid retention or you are not feeling well.
* Lose weight if you are overweight.
* Get enough rest, including after exercise, eating, or other activities. This allows your heart to rest as well. Keep your feet elevated to decrease swelling.

Causes

Heart failure is almost always a chronic, long-term condition, although it can sometimes develop suddenly. The condition may affect the right side, the left side, or both sides of the heart.

* Right-sided heart failure means the right ventricle of the heart loses its pumping function.
* Left-sided heart failure means the heart's ability to pump blood forward from the left side of the heart is decreased. The left side of the heart normally receives blood rich in oxygen from the lungs and pumps it to the remainder of the body.

Heart failure is often classified as either systolic or diastolic.

* Systolic heart failure means that your heart muscle cannot pump, or eject, the blood out of the heart very well.
* Diastolic heart failure means that your heart's pumping chamber does not fill up with blood.

Both of these problems mean the heart is no longer able to pump enough blood out to the rest of your body, especially when you exercise or are active.

As the heart's pumping action is lost, blood may back up in other areas of the body, producing congestion in the lungs, the liver, the gastrointestinal tract, and the arms and legs. As a result, there is a lack of oxygen and nutrition to organs, which damages them and reduces their ability to work properly.

Prognosis

Heart failure is a serious disorder. It is usually a chronic illness, which may get worse with infection or other physical stress.

Many forms of heart failure can be controlled with medication, lifestyle changes, and treatment of any underlying disorder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's it in a nutshell. I'm sure some people out there are going to say.... "what did you expect, you've been overweight your entire life." For those people, may I remind you that while obesity is a contributing factor, it is not the cause. I figured my doctor would rake me over the coals. He didn't. If this were only about weight there wouldn't be any thin people with CHF. I will be working on diet and exercise... and let me just say it now. If I hear any remarks being thrown around, I'll be all over you. Don't judge me until you are willing to walk in my shoes. I won't tolerate destructive energy around me at a time like this. Support... YES. Judgement... NO. Please.
HERE'S TO LIFE!!!!

7 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

Oh, I don't exactly know what to say. I just hope that you can get to feeling better and have a good plan with your doc. No one has the right to judge - just stay positive and if you need anything, just e-mail me! I'll be thinking of you!
LL

Donsher said...

You have my support! I'll keep you and yours on the prayer roll up here! You are an awesome woman, if anyone can overcome, it is you!

Mary said...

I'm sorry you have this prognosis, although I'm sure there is some comfort in the at least knowing now part. I'm thinking of you.

Brenda said...

Brenda, I too have struggled with my weight since I was young. It's not an easy thing to lose weight. I think food addiction is worse than smoking because we have to eat. I should be losing weight too according to my dr because of my high blood pressure. I don't have any willpower anymore. Simply said, I love food. If you need to talk, I'm here for you.

Jamie said...

We were so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Please let us know how we can help!!! I don't have the natural talent to just see what needs done, so please please please tell me and we will be there!

Cheri said...

Love ya bunches, pray for your wellbeing, have put your name on the temple prayer roll here in Canada. Woohoo! Another nation prays for Brenda! Woot! REALLY wish I were there to help you.

Sommer said...

Wow, what a diagnosis! You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and please keep us posted!