Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

One Down, Five to Go.

Today was my first class as part of my preparation for Gastric By-pass. I now have some more information about when I may be able to have surgery. While this is NOT carved in stone, according my my surgeon's nurse, we will be shooting for May. According to her, I have to have 6 months of supervised weight loss management in order for my insurance to pay for the procedure. This will allow me to take all 6 recommended classes and get a jump start on my weight loss. I will also learn new tools which will aid in my success and ability to maintain my new and healthier life.We discussed food labels and specifically what to look for. Post bypass, the protein requirements are vitally important. One of the main questions is how much protein can I get while consuming the fewest calories possible? Also critical is fat and carb amounts.We also learned about the food pyramid and how it applies to bypass patients. It is slightly different in what I will need post surgery.Of course, it goes without saying that portion control is mandatory. It's amazing how small a portion truly is. I love this visual. It clearly shows exactly what I should be aiming for in portion size.I am gaining tools I will be able to use in order to become healthy again. Actually, I'll probably be healthier and more aware of nutrition by the time I have surgery than I've ever been in my life. In addition to losing weight and having my health problems corrected, I also want to gain control over food... rather than food having control over me. Part of my success will be following the...

10 Commandments of Bariatric Eating

1. YOU SHALL INCLUDE PROTEIN AT ALL MEALS
Protein rich foods keep you feeling full long after you're finished eating.
2. YOU SHALL CHOOSE SOLID FOODS OVER SOFT, MUSHY, OR LIQUIDY FOODS
Solid foods fill up your pouch and stay in your pouch longer than soft, mushy, or liquidy foods do.
3. YOU SHALL NOT EAT AND DRINK AT THE SAME TIME
Doing so makes your solid foods mushy. No drinking for 15-30 minutes before and after meals.
4. YOU SHALL AVOID BEVERAGES THAT CONTAIN CALORIES
Liquids pass through your pouch quickly. Translation: Lots of calories without ever feeling full.
5. YOU SHALL TAKE SMALL BITES
Take bites only as big as a pea, pencil eraser, or a dime to lesson your chances of causing an obstruction and to slow you down.
6. YOU SHALL CHEW THOROUGHLY
Chew each bite 25-30 times or until the food in your mouth is unidentifiable.
7. YOU SHALL EAT SLOWLY
Allowing 20-30 minutes to eat a meal prevents you from overeating which can cause you to vomit and/or cause your pouch to stretch.
8. YOU SHALL STOP EATING AS SOON AS YOU FEEL FULL
Overeating can cause distress. Persistent overeating can stretch your pouch.
9. YOU SHALL STAY HYDRATED
Drink 6-8 cups of calorie-free, non-carbonated, caffeine-free beverages everyday.
10. YOU SHALL TAKE YOUR DAILY VITAMINS
Nutrient deficiencies are possible whether due to a lower food intake, malabsorption caused by weight loss surgery, or both.

And finally, we learned about goal setting and keeping a Food & Activity Journal. We each had to set at least 1, but not more than 3, very specific behavior, eating, and/or activity related goals. Here are mine for this month.

1. I will attend a support meeting and/or find a support person to work with.
2. I will not consume soda 4 days a week.
3. I will not drink beverages 30 min before after meals.

When I go to next month's class I have to turn in my journal page which insurance requires along with how a review with the nutritionist on how I did with my goals.

TODAY'S WEIGHT: 313

No comments: