Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, November 19, 2010

Fake or Real?

I must share a very sad tale tonight. When I was a child we were never able to have a real Christmas tree because my mom had asthma. Having thought back over things, I'm now convinced it wasn't just about her health, but also because having a real tree requires more effort. Anyway, when I finally had a home of my own, my former husband and I decided we'd get a real tree. I went out one night while he was working and found the perfect tree. It was beautiful on the tree lot. I paid $35 dollars for it (21 years ago). We put the tree up and filled the holder with water. The tree really was pretty. And it was the healthiest tree I could have ever got. I really didn't have to pour in much water at all. It was amazing. Um.... it was amazing until 1 week before Christmas. I came downstairs one morning and found my beautiful green tree was now a not so beautiful rustish color. It was UGLY. What on earth had happened overnight? I was furious! I took all the decorations off the tree and pitched it into the back yard. I put up the artificial tree I had used for a few Christmas's and that was that. I never tried a real tree again.

Fast forward 18 years or so. I was listening to a program about how to care for live trees. I finally figured out what had gone wrong. I NEVER knew you were supposed to re-cut the stump before placing the tree in the stand... so the tree can get the water. DUH!! Makes sense. Why didn't I think of that?

Now it's mid November 2010 and before I know it, I'll be putting another Christmas tree up. Here's my dilemma. My old tree was on its last leg last year. I now have to either get another *Forever Tree* (I like that so much more than artificial tree) or get a real tree.Here's what I've come up with.

Real Tree ~
Cost: $35.00+ (depending on size and style)
Tree Stand: $20.00
Christmas Lights: $20.00

Looks like at least $75.00 for one use.

Forever Tree ~
Cost: $98.00 (7.5 foot, pre-lit, pre-hinged, stand included)I was really thinking about getting a real tree this year since it will be Em's last year living at home during Christmas. I just don't know though. I can get a lot more use out of a forever Christmas tree. And as pretty as they are now, you really can't go wrong. I suppose I'd better decided soon. Christmas will be here before I know it.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Having owned several "forever trees", let me tell you that the prelit ones start to unlight at about 2 years and fully unlight at 4ish. Something to consider. IF you go "forever" it might be best to just add the lights, or you can add them to the unlit prelit tree in several years time.

We Three Queens said...

I've had pre-lit trees for 11 years now, and yes, the problem with the lights is exactly what happened. I did end up stringing lights in sections that didn't lite up. Even though I loathe stringing lights, perhaps that's still the best bang for the buck. Thanks for the input.