Inspirational Thoughts

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'm Back

What a month February turned out to be. With all the snow and my health issues, I'm truly glad it's over. I'm pleased to report that I'm doing much better after 2 hospital stays totally 7 days last month. The last was Feb. 19-22 and was much worse than the first stay. I had 3 heavy duty IV antibiotics given back to back because of hospital acquired pneumonia. Due to how intense the meds were, I developed severe nausea and vomiting which required IV anti nausea meds to get it under control. My blood pressure spiked into the 180-200+range over high 90's to 140+ range. All of this also resulted in horrible headaches. I had to pack my head on ice to relieve the pain from the headaches. I also blew 3 IV vein sites and had to have new IV's started each time to get the meds. So much fun.

The day after I got out of the hospital I started an oral antibiotic (which would have cost $157.+ if my doctor hadn't had samples). When I took the first one, I noticed I felt like I had a walnut in my throat and it was difficult to swallow. I dismissed it as the result of the vomiting in the hospital. The next day I took another one. This time I knew there was a problem. I started feeling the walnut get larger and choked on a bite of food. It also got harder to swallow and my lips began to burn/tingle and itch. I called the doctor and he told me not to take anymore of the antibiotics, go get some Benadryl and take 50mg 3 times a day. The next day I started a different antibiotic. I dodged a bullet (allergic reaction requiring hospitalization) and spent the rest of the week laying low and sleeping a lot.

All that is over now. I am thrilled to SHOUT OUT ..... "I feel MUCH better!!" I'm sleeping well, my breathing is really clear, and I'm truly beginning to feel my energy returning.I had so much help from the girls, family, and friends. We are just finishing up eating food brought in. I'm way behind on laundry, but that will come together with time. I'm just glad to be able to do things again.

Thanks to everyone who looked after me and my little family these past few weeks. I couldn't have done it without everyone. I can't imagine life without all my friends. It's so good to be back!

1 comment: