Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Em's First Job

After months of applying for jobs, Emile went on her first interview today at the Giant at Delco Plaza. We had worked on "mock" interviews a few times, including coaching Em on how to confidently present herself, what questions to anticipate, and the importance of dressing for success. At 12:53PM I dropped her off for her 1PM appt. She was nervous but excited. I told her I was confidant she would get the job. Less than 15 minutes later she came into Office Max (where I was faxing time slips) and I could tell by the look on her face that the interview went well.WOO HOO!!! Emile was hired! So now all she has to do is get her work permit from school (which I think is completely bogus considering the school isn't raising her... so who in the heck gives them the authority to determine whether or not my Honor Roll student can become gainfully employed or not... and yes, I know the arguments as to why it is the way it is, but I still disagree with that level of intrusion into my child's life). After that she begins training.

So another step has been taken. Another step toward independence. When did my little girl get big enough to get a job? Oh the day of her moving out is coming way too fast. I think I'm feeling a little melancholy tonight. I'm totally thrilled for my baby girl... just amazed at how fast it came. Way to go, Emile. You'll do great!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Congrats, Emile! We'll have to look for you during our shopping trips. :)
(Maybe you can have some pull in there and have them put the Treehouse back!)

Brenda said...

Yeah for Emile! First jobs are so exciting! I totally agree with you, Brenda, why does the school have to give their permission for our children to work? If the parents are comfortable with it, why is it any of their business?

We Three Queens said...

It's just another form of gov't intrusion into our private lives... at least in my opinion. It's a state form that has to be signed by the employer, school, and our family doctor stating she is physically fit to work, and her grades are high enough to not have work jeopardize her education. I haven't seen a place for me to sign. What a bunch of horse dung!

Ashley said...

Good for Emile! That is awesome. I will have to look for her when I go. Tell her congrats for me!