Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Well, it's nine years and counting!! Nine years ago today, I arrived from Utah to begin the "divorced single mom" phase of my life. It's hard for me to believe it's been so long already. At times it seems like it was just yesterday when I left, other times it feels like I've always lived this way.

I had a Dodge Spirit; a 16 month old and a 4 year old stapped in car seats in the back, a 14 ft. UHAUL truck with everything I'd need to start over, and two friends I could count on to help me drive cross country. We left Salt Lake at 3AM on a Sunday morning... just ahead of a major snowstorm that was heading for the Wasatch Front... then marching on into the plains. I knew we had to stay ahead of it. It was one of the saddest days of my life. I cried as I drove out of the valley.... knowing it was the last time I'd be seeing my beautiful home for many years to come. Because of the impending storm, the temps were mild and there was a breeze blowing. The air was so clear and you could see the valley perfectly. Although I still haven't been back, I KNOW my Heavenly Father blessed me with the inspiration to know where I was supposed to be going as I made the decision I did. He was, and is, aware of me and my family. I KNOW I was supposed to move here. This is now our home... and we truly love it here.

As we drove across I-80, we were able to see how incredible the United States is. Brie was too little to remember anything about the move, but at times Emile still asks questions. When she describes something, it's from a memory of the move, like the rock formations in Nebraska where she said it looked like indians were hiding behind. She also remembered snow blowing across Wyoming. We spent our first night in a Motel 6.
It only had a shower... no bathtub. I had both of the girls in with me. What a mess. Emile did ok, Brie on the other hand was a wiggling mass of wet in my arms. I nearly dropped her. We got through it though. That night all five of us stayed in the same room. Cindy and Laura Lee in one bed, me and Em in another, and Brie in a travel crib.

As we continued on the next day, it was becoming obvious that we were all getting more tired and the close quarters were wearing on us. Although we rotated turns through the car and UHAUL, it was easiest for me to be in the car with the girls.
We made many stops at McDonalds.... not for the food as much as for the playlands. The girls really did enjoy them. We were trying so hard to make it in those two days, but it wasn't meant to be. We were just east of Pittsburgh when everyone "melted down." The girls were done... so was I. We pulled off an exit where I saw a Comfort Inn sign. I practically stormed in and got two rooms. I needed to be alone with the girls. I also knew Cindy and Laura Lee needed to have some space too. It was the best thing I could have done. I had so much fun with Em and Brie that evening. We had a very nice room (and paid more than I could afford), there was even a bathtub. The girls had a blast splashing. Afterward we wrestled on the bed. We laughed and had a good time. To settle down, I read them a couple books.. then it was off to sleep. We slept much later the next morning, in fact, when I woke I was surprised how late it was. We dressed and had some of the continental breakfast in the lobby. It was quite good and most importantly... FREE.

We pulled in on April 1, 1998. When my sister told me it was April Fool's Day, I didn't believe her. I thought she was joking. She wasn't. Two thoughts went through my mind. First "what an omen" and second, "figures, the jokes on me." I was wrong on both counts. Remember the storm I mentioned earlier? We did stay ahead of it the entire time we were driving. When we stopped to eat or play, we always had enough time before it started getting close. We could see it coming... the clouds moving in, then we'd leave. More than once we heard severe storm warnings issued in the area we had just driven away from. When we stopped for the night, so did the storm. Now some people will say I'm nuts, but it happened. The Lord protected us. I KNOW this. We arrived here with mild temps (like in the upper 70's-low 80's). The next afternoon several men from the Elder's Quorum arrived to unload the truck. That night, it started to storm, the temps fell and we had "normal" spring type weather. I didn't imagine that.

I've never looked back. Our little family has had its share of ups and downs, just like everyone else does. We're not any better or worse off than the next family. And, make no mistake, we are a family too. We love and laugh, argue and cry, play and work. As I watch the girls grow I am ever thankful for the priviledge of being their mother. I pray for the inspiration to do the best for them... to be the kind of mother they need. It is my responsibility, as the head of our family, to make the most of the time we have together. It's a heavy responsibility. I don't take it lightly. I'm thankful for everything my Heavenly Father blesses us with. I'm grateful for the gospel and the guidance it gives. I'm thankful for my Saviour and his atoning sacrifice made on my behalf. I know I can do this. I know our family will continue go grow. I know we are loved. These are the most important gifts we have.... our families, the gospel, and love for one another.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Andy and I were just ahead of a storm when we moved here, too. It was really crazy watching the storm slowly catch up to us.