Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, April 8, 2007

Happy Easter

Today was a lovely spring day! Yes, it was very cold; more like mid January than April, but beautiful nonetheless. How can Easter Sunday be anything less than beautiful? It started out with us getting ready for church. Our meetings start at 9AM this year so we were up early. This is one of the few Sunday's when it's not hard to get the girls up. For some reason they always seem to enjoy Easter Sunday more than most Sundays. And it's not because of an Easter basket... we didn't do one this year at all. After church we went to the Tibbs' for dinner. Since they meet at 1PM (as do Lesa and John), we met at 5. Dinner was great; ham, scalloped and sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, deviled eggs, and sweet potato pie. We all sat around and visited while the kids played games.... we didn't leave until 9:30. It was a nice ending to a wonderful day.

On a spiritual note, on the way to church we were talking about the true meaning of Easter and how most churches focus on the cross and resurrection but not on the time Christ spent in Gethsemane atoning for our sins. Had that not happened, Christ's death would have just been the case of another man dying on a cross. It wouldn't have meant anything at all.
When I think of how much suffering my Saviour went through to atone for me, I'm humbled. Surprising as it may seem, I've just began to truly appreciate the full weight of His sacrifice. Oh I've always had the "dictionary" understanding of what the atonement was, but it was only in recent years that I really began to comprehend and appreciate that sacrifice. At the same time, I feel sorrow for the sins I commit which caused such suffering. The love which my Elder Brother, even Christ, had (has) for me is incomprehensible at times. To love us enough to die for us? How many of us would really be willing to do that for another human being; and only after suffering to a degree we can't begin to fathom? Makes you think, doesn't it?

I am thankful for my knowledge of the gospel. I'm thankful for my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm thankful for the blessings which I receive each and every day. I know my Saviour bled and died for me; that He rose from the tomb and because of that I will have eternal life.I'm thankful for a mother who taught me firm and sound gospel principles. I'm equally thankful for the example of my sisters... they have incredible faith and have always been a source of inspiration to me. I'm greatful as well for extended relatives. In the area of PA where we live, our extended family were some of the first converts to the church. They were the "pioneers" for this part of the vineyard. How great it is to have that type of footprint to follow in. Most importantly, I'm thankful for a loving and wise Heavenly Father, one who knew what would be needed to return to His presence. I'm thankful for His ever watchful eye... for the absolute knowledge I have of His love for me.. of His intimate knowledge of who I am, and His concern for me, as his daughter. This life would be horrible without having this understanding. I can't imagine how wonderful it will be to be in His presence again someday.

No comments: