Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

UGH!!!

You know how much you love having your car, right up until the point where you have to spend money repairing it? Well, that's how I feel right now. Our family is having our annual BLT Reunion at Virginia Beach starting April 27th. In preparation for that, as well as an upcoming safety inspection on my car, I took it in to have new tires put on. I knew the tires wouldn't pass this year, and if I knew that, I couldn't in good conscious drive a few hundred miles on tires that weren't safe, right? So I got some quotes and found what I thought would be the best deal. I took the car in and before long the manager came and asked me to come look at something. OH NO, here we go!!

So obviously there's a problem with my brakes. To be completely honest, I had known in the back of my mind they would find something because for the last month or two (or perhaps even three) I've felt a pretty serious vibration when I applied the brakes. Not all the time, but more often than not.

My brake pads were shot. My brake line was empty (I think that's what he said), and my something or other (maybe disk rotor) had warped which was the cause of the vibration. Lucky me. There was no doubt about it, I had to take care of it. Turns out one more problem was found. On the left rear brake, the caliper has two bolts, or at least it's supposed to, to hold it in place. Mine only had one. Since that work had been done at the dealership where I bought the car, I took it back there and they fixed it immediately, free of charge. Mighty nice of them considering it was their mistake in the first place.

When all was said and done, my little day out to the garage cost me.......
$609.... and some change... but who's counting at this point. YIPEE!! I was about as excited as could be. I wanted to come home and throw up but I didn't have enough time before I had to get to a client. Well one good way to look at this... I know we'll be safe from a tire and brake standpoint as we travel next week. AND....the car should pass the safety inspection with flying colors next month.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Ugh, car repairs are so annoying, but, you're right, at least you'll be safe on the drive to the BLT! We're counting down the days...

Sarah said...

Our car is up for inspection this month too.. and I know we need new tires.. now you've scared me! I really don't want to take it in! Can't wait to cya at the reunion. Are bringing your scrapbooking stuff?

Ang said...

Nice informative blog on brakes-I always wanted to know how they worked, or don't work! Every time we take our blue van in for service, there is one brake problem or another! So, I hear ya' sister!