Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, April 15, 2007

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

Today we had a combined meeting in the third hour with all Young Men and Young Women and their parents. President Knudson, from the Stake Presidency, led the meeting. We were each given a special copy of the March issue of the New Era. The entire issue was about missionary work. It was an inspiring meeting to attend, at least I thought so. One of the things I enjoyed most was the emphasis on young women serving missions, too. We heard from a sister missionary serving in our area. She was beautiful and her spirit was so strong. She explained that the average age of the sister missionaries in our mission is 24. She also told us that most of the sisters had college educations, had either already worked in good jobs, or had turned good offers down to come on missions, and several had broke off engagements to serve. Why is this information important? For a long time in the church, people have thought young women only serve missions if they haven't found a husband yet, or have nothing much else going on in their lives. That couldn't be further from the case, as evidenced by this sister we met today.Here is my hope. As a mother of two wonderful young ladies, I would love to see them serve a mission. It would be an honor to see "SISTER LOPEZ" on an official missionary name tag. It would bring me such happiness to see them serve their Heavenly Father in such an important way. What would be more rewarding than to bring people to the gospel? I know they would learn important lessons that would carry them throughout their life. I know they would develop a deep love for those whom they serve wherever they may be called.

I also hope and pray that my daughters will continue to develop a deep love for and faith in their Heavenly Father and elder brother, Jesus Christ. We live in a time when wickedness is everywhere. I see the pull it has on our young people and it frightens me. I see how Emile is trying so hard to make the right choices. I see how she is trying to be a good example to her friends. I also see when she stumbles and how hard it sometimes is to pick herself back up. I pray for her. I know others pray for her as well. How great that is to know. How great it is too that she has the examples of terrific women in our family and church community setting an example for both of the girls. With all the "outside" influences, it's helpful knowing they can look to Jamie, Anya, Sarah, Lindsey, Aunt Cindy and Aunt Teresa, as well as many, many other righteous women for guidence.


The work will go forth. The gospel will grow. The truth will be taught to "every nation, tongue, kindred and people." It will be wonderful to be a mother to two of the voices who spread the message of the restored gospel to those waiting to receive it. My daughters have the potential to bless the lives of people for an eternity. I pray they seize that opportunity. What more can I say?

No comments: