Inspirational Thoughts

Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Before I go to bed tonight, I had to take a few minutes to express my thanks to all the service men and women who have willingly given so much for my own safety and freedom. If there were no people to do what they do, I truly believe our nation (and world for that matter) would be a much scarier place. A few years ago I had the privilege of spending the day in Washington, DC with my daughters, and a friend and her family from Utah. I was inspired by what I saw and how I felt. I really need to go back again. I need to spend more time learning and remembering those who went before me. With the exception of the World War II Memorial (which was under construction), here are just a few of the memorials we saw. I thought it fitting to share these today.World War I MemorialWorld War II MemorialKorean War MemorialVietnam Wall MemorialVietnam Womens Memorial No soldier's death should ever be in vain.

I hope we all took the time to think about the true meaning of this sacred day. We are blessed to have the liberties we so often take for granted. Happy Memorial Day!

4 comments:

Cheri said...

I truly missed being in the US for Memorial Day, but flew my flag here in Canada. We both live in very blessed countries with many freedoms. Plus I missed going to the parade and picnic with your family!!

Sommer said...

what a beautiful post! Thanks for the reminder!

Jamie said...

I love Memorial Day. We went to the Red Lion parade and I got a little choked up watching the boys wave their little flags.
It was nice to spend time with you guys!
Here is a link to the collision video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAZVDnQ9rs&feature=channel_page

Alex T. Valencic said...

Brenda,

Thanks for asking me about the St. Louis Temple! I wasn't living in the Temple District at the time, and had not heard of the manifestations you spoke of. My wife was living in the District, but she had not heard of them either. So I asked my former bishop, who is also one of those guys who researches things like this. His response is as follows:

"The lights many people claimed to have seen were the result of the building's lights shining off of the steam coming from roof vents." He also linked the following:

http://www.shields-research.org/Hoaxes/LDSWorld_Internet_Hoaxes_and_Mormon_Urban_Legends.htm#stlouis