Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, January 11, 2009

According to Prudence

I have the "pleasure" of seeing a woman several times a week. For confidentiality reasons, I will refer to her as "Prudence." Prudence is in her early 80's and obviously very set in her ways. I've NEVER encountered someone quite like her. I've decided to share some of her more interesting statements with you. There are so many that I won't be able to share more than one at a time. Further more, I'm 100% certain that with each passing visit, I'll obtain more to share. Let's see what you all think about some of the world.... ACCORDING TO PRUDENCE.

BREASTFEEDING:
"I never breastfed my babies. They were just starting to tell us it was better than bottle feeding, but my children seldom got sick. They did just fine. The thought of breastfeeding is vulgar. That's what animals do. I'm not an animal." Prudence.So began our "discussion" one day last week. Being a strong supporter of alternative health choices, home based and midwife assisted childbirth, as well as breastfeeding, I just couldn't keep quiet on this one. She went on to give me some examples of how offended she's been seeing women breastfeeding in public. "They just pull up their shirts and do it in front of everyone." When asked if the nursing mothers had blankets over their breasts, she said "yes, but you could still see the outline of their breast and you knew what they were doing."

I was told of another time when she and her husband were on a boat tour with several other people (mostly retired). There was a nursing mom on board, who was covered up but still breastfeeding during the tour. Several people got upset by this. Finally the Captain came over and told the mother there was a special room for nursing on board. The mother went to the room to finish. Prudence said everyone applauded the Captain. That ticked me off. I said "Shame on them. Shame on everyone who applauded a nursing mother being treated in such a rude manner." I asked about a child's right to be fed. Her response? "Children have no rights." I disagreed with her and said that the child's mother was protecting its right to eat. We "adults" are the voices of our children. Some obviously care more than others! I also reminded her that babies have been fed at the breast since the beginning of time, and will continue to be forever. It's a natural part of life and shame on people for making it ugly or sinful. Heck we see more on TV and magazines than most nursing mother's show!When I was breastfeeding my children, I had a sling. It was great. I also pumped and gave the girls breast milk from a bottle. It was a great way to let others be hands on with them, too. I suppose growing up in a culture that is pro-nursing, I am more tolerant. Regardless, everyone has a right to sustenance."Virgin Suckling the Infant Christ" by Gasparo Da Loho Annibale Carracci. 1883

It finally got to the point where I knew it wouldn't matter what I said. She wasn't going to concede, nor was I. I still had one last remark to make. Prudence is a devout Catholic. As such, I reminded her that even Christ nursed at his mother's breast. She stammered at that, at which point I said it again. Jesus Christ, the very savior of this world, was breastfed. That was the end of the conversation.

Did I make a difference? Probably not. You'd have to meet her to understand. I felt better though. And just for the record, my home is a .......

6 comments:

Beckie said...

Yeah Brenda! I certainly don't mind at all if a mom wants to breastfeed wherever. I may not be able to because I, after having two children am still not a pro at it, but hats off to those who can.

Sommer said...

You go girl!!! I'm so glad you said those things to her and stood up for what you believed in, good job!!!!! I completly agree wtih you by the way!

Anonymous said...

as a nursing new mom, i appreciate your comments.

Jamie said...

Wow, 'Prudence' sounds like a lot of fun. lol!
That was a great post about breastfeeding, of which I am obviously for. :) I think the U.S. is the only country that thinks that it is weird. Many countries are pro-breastfeeding, and I'm not just talking about the third world and Asian countries.
One amazing thing that I don't think that people understand is that breast milk is living tissue. It is full of living anti-bodies that help boost up a baby's immune system. When Abric gets a goopy eye, I put breast milk on it and it clears right up. I even put breast milk on my kid's cuts and scrapes and it makes them heal super fast. (one example: Zane's nose). Breast milk is a miracle elixir made especially for a baby by his mother. Cow's milk is made for calves, not babies.
I love that you have always been pro-breastfeeding and I LOVE this post!

Mary said...

Tell her to thank her lucky stars she has never met me, because I do not use a blanket half of the time. If you have a problem with it you move. And as for the cruise, I so wouldn't have moved. But then I can just be ornery.

Sarah said...

fun fun! thanks again for having us over. It was alot of fun!