Inspirational Thoughts

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Willie and Martin Handcart Company


These are pictures of some of the portraits hanging in the Visitors Center at the Washington DC Temple. They are part of an exhibit about the Willie and Martin Handcart Company. The paintings are truly touching. I can't imagine the courage and faith the members had who went through that ordeal.




Can you imagine burying your infant child in a shallow grave such as the one above? How would you feel if you came upon your sister and found her dead? What about watching your husband slowly slipping away? I have always found this particular part of church history particularly compelling. These members wanted so badly to be with the saints in the Salt Lake Valley that they did whatever it took, up to and including death, to get to the valley. Would I be able to do that? I don't know if I could. It makes you stop and think. It also reminds me.... once again.... of how blessed I am. I have much to be thankful for.

No comments: