Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mean People

I'm feeling frustrated right now. I got a call from a grandparent of 2 girls in my Girl Scout troop. She was trying to give me a "heads-up" about something that had come to her attention. I have been a co-leader of 2 (and sometimes 3) troops in our area for 5 years now. I've stuck with it this long because of the girls and the fact there's no other people willing to step up and take over. I've enjoyed it, but for now it's time for me to step aside and let someone else take over. Of course I've made mistakes along the way, but I've ALWAYS tried to do my best for the girls and make them feel safe and accepted in our troops.... ALWAYS!

This call was to tell me there are 1 or 2 unhappy parents. I didn't hear this from the parents who are upset... I'm not even sure who the second parent is. I do know 1 parent is upset because her registration check from last fall never cleared, but that has nothing to do with me. All registrations were sent to council months ago. I heard this from the grandmother who called. She heard it from a new Cub Scout pack leader who just took over the pack that meets at our location. I don't even know this leaders name... I've seen her in passing but don't know much other than that. I'm curious how she got involved and why she thinks she needs to take care of something that doesn't involve her at all. In addition, she also said some completely untrue and unkind things about our troops. I wonder why. Why would someone do such a thing? I will say I know this is not the type of person who should be working with our children if this is how she's going to act. What kind of example is she setting?

The really sad thing about all of this is that it's the last nail in the coffin, so to speak. I'm done. I can't and won't continue working in an area where such ugliness exists. I can't "save" the girls I've worked with all this time. In our community we need good leaders working with our kids. There are so few good role models. Unfortunately I've come to the point where I'm spread too thin and must let something go.

Best of luck to this unkind woman who took over the Cub Scout pack. I hope she has luck, however, I'm not sure she will if she continues the way she is beginning. Enough said.

No comments: