Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, March 9, 2007

Welcome to America... Now Speak English!


I know this post is going to piss off some people, especially my own daughter. Emile thinks I'm racist because of my view on this... as well as illegal immigration. She has A LOT to learn. I know she is a little touchy about the subject because she is hispanic/white, which if you think about it would tell you how much of a racist I really am....yeah right!

Last night we were at Wal-Mart. As we walked around there were some very LOUD spanish speaking customers talking. I made the comment "welcome to America...now speak English." Emile got irritated with me and as usual we had a bit of an argument. I just think that when you come to this country you should become an AMERICAN. This is the United States of America, PERIOD. NOT the United States of Mexico, Japan, Russia, Germany, China, Tonga, Africa, Iran, or anywhere else for that matter. When you come here you should learn the official language we speak in America...... ENGLISH. PERIOD.

When people from other countries wanted freedom, they gave up everything they had (or perhaps they didn't have much to begin with) and got on a ship to come to America. They came through Ellis Island where the next step to their citizenship would take place. These people did everything they could to become an American... everything! They worked hard, they built homes, had families, and learned to speak English. Wow, what a concept. English speaking immigrants.

I am proud to be an American. I want people to come to America who want the same opportunities and freedoms I have. This is the greatest country to live in. I LOVE THE UNITED STATES. This is my home. Please just understand that when someone comes here to make it their home I want them to speak my language. I wouldn't disrespect them by going to their country and becoming a citizen only to continue speaking my native tongue. How rude. Come to America. Come here LEGALLY! Don't come across our borders in the dark of night. Don't drain our resources without giving back (taxes), and please... learn our language. Enough said.

1 comment:

Donsher said...

Not only that, but if we did move to Mexico, would they provide bi-lingual teachers/tutors in school so our children could understand them ?? I feel the same way as you do. I do NOT hate, (or anything like it), Immigrants. I am tired of paying for illegal’s who pay NO taxes (the same goes for LAZY-- not hard working-- welfare moms!)