Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Give Me A Break!!!

Ok, so Emile comes home last week and asks me how you pronounce Uranus. I said, "your-anus," Uranus. She asked if that was really the correct way to say it. I told her it was the way I had been taught. She then told me she got in hot water in her science class for pronouncing it that way. Her teacher told her that in his class they didn't speak that way and the correct way to pronounce it is "urine-es." (Sorry about the spelling, not sure how else to get the point across.) :)~ I couldn't believe it. What a joke!

We looked up the word in the dictionary to find the precise pronunciation. Turns out we're both correct. I suspect that in todays "politically correct" atmosphere, we can not longer say certain words certain ways, even if it's technically correct to say it either way. Again, what a joke. So here it is, the planet URANUS. Isn't it a beautiful planet? In our family we will continue pronouncing it the way I've always pronounced it, "your-anus." I told Emile she had my permission to say it that way in school and if the teacher has a problem with it to contact me. I'd be more than happy to discuss it with him. Heck, if that's the worse word she ever hears in school, I'll be thrilled. That truly would be a miracle on the planet Earth.......... oh wait, am I allowed to pronounce it that way??

4 comments:

Donsher said...

I love the visuals you use, Uranus is lovely!(hee hee-Pun intended sorry;}}! ANYWAY, where do you get your Pictures??

Jamie said...

Andy and I were watching Jay Leno the other night and he was talking about one new catch-phrase for the year 2006 was "Pluto-ed". (Because they decided that Pluto was no longer considered a planet.) As in, you don't want to be "Plutoed", or demoted.
Jay Leno said, "Well, I think I would rather be "Plutoed" than "Uranused".

Everyone knows how Uranus is pronouned. Poor Emily!

Anonymous said...

I get my pics from Google Images.

Ang said...

Love it! You should be the science teacher, then everyone would know how to say it the right way, and have much more fun!