Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Three Down, Three to Go

Yesterday I attended my third class in preparation for my gastric bypass. I think it was probably the most clear and understandable class I've had so far. The focus of the class was exactly what we will be consuming for the last 10 days before surgery and how we will be re-introducing foods post-surgery.

Here are some visuals to help put things in perspective.It the present time, my stomach is the size of a football. Lovely. When I really think of that, it makes me sick. How on earth have I done this to myself? I can't dwell on the past... I must focus on where I'm heading and my chance at a new and healthy life.Following my surgery, my stomach (pouch) will be the size of a golf ball. VERY tiny. Initially the pouch will only hold 2 ounces. Not much.Eventually (about 18 months post surgery) the pouch will be the size of a tennis ball and capable of holding 4 ounces. That's where the surgeon wants it to stay for the rest of your life. Obviously if that's going to happen one must be doing the right things. Thus the reason for the classes and everything else which has to be done before surgery. Again, this is only a tool to permanent weight loss. It is NOT the cure. We've been reminded many times that the surgery will not fail us, we fail it (with the exception of serious post-surgical complications). This is a 90% mental, 10% physical proposition. It's up to me whether I succeed or fail.

As part of the preparation for surgery, the last 10 days is a high protein diet. The purpose of this is to shrink the liver as much as possible. That helps reduce the chance of an injury to the liver during the surgery itself. I don't have all the pre-surgery instructions yet... that will happen in April, however, I do know I will be drinking several high protein drinks daily. Additionally I will be able to eat certain fruits, vegetables, and sugar free clear liquid items (jello, fruit pops, chicken broth, etc.). We were given a packet of recipes for this period of time as well as the *pureed* eating period.At the end of the class, we sampled some of the foods we will be eating immediately before and for the first two months after surgery (including some food from the recipes we received). All in all the food was just fine. I think it's going to be a lot of mind over matter. Again, it's about physiological versus physical needs and wants. I'm just glad that I've taken this step and am learning how to become a healthier person.

No comments: