Inspirational Thoughts

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Interesting Finding

I had my second appointment with Dr. Monk today. It was enlightening to say the least. I went to the lab the day before yesterday and had nine vials of blood taken... five were the purple top tubes and the remaining four were the orange tiger stripe tubes. I had a fantastic tech; she listened to me when I told her where I have a good (but deep) vein and she got it on the first stick! Yay.

When I talked with Dr. M. he went over the results and everything looks good when it comes to most of the tests. I am vitamin D deficient (which most people are) and will have to start taking 1000mg of D daily. No problem there. My calcium is fine, iron is good, liver and kidney function are both fine. All in all things looked great with the exception of one *little* area. My clotting factor. One of the tests revealed a significant problem. It was discovered that I have Thrombophilia. This is a condition where my body is more at risk of forming blood clots. In my individual case, I am at such a high risk that Dr. M. won't do the surgery unless I agree to have a filter put in before the surgery. That would prevent any potential clots from going into my heart/lungs and killing me. Sounds like a great plan to me.From what I understand, as soon as I'm under general anesthesia, a vascular surgeon will go in through my femoral artery and place the filter somewhere in the inferior vena cava. As soon as the filter is in place, Dr. M. will step in and do the gastric bypass.Following surgery I will be up within the first hour and a half to two hours to start walking. As a normal part of the surgery, bariatric patients are on Coumadin for a month post-surgery, as well as receive Lovenox injections while inpatient. If needed that can continue at home as well. I will also use the pnuematic compression leg devices. Basically everything that can be done to prevent the formation of a blood clot will be done.

Without a doubt I'm thankful this problem was discovered before surgery rather than having a clot form and potentially kill me. I'm not sure what the implications are in the long run with this condition. Dr. M. said that will be addressed further down the road. Obviously it is something that is very serious and will have to be watched, particularly as I get older. At least I know and with the help of my doctors, we can take care of the condition. You never know what you may discover, do you?

No comments: