Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

What does a white rose, red rose, M & M, lion hold a cigar, pickle, 10ft sled, cow and a silo, 6ft shoe, 12ft roll of Lebanon Bologna, pretzel, anchor, wrench, fire department ladder truck, lollipop, Hershey Kiss, strawberry, hemlock tree, PEEP, 10ft Crayola Crayon, giant lump of coal and a beaver have in common?
Posted by Picasa
All of them are either dropped or raised on New Year's Eve.
Yes, I know the wrench says 2010... it was the only one I could find.

I tried unsuccessfully to find pictures of some more of the unusual items Pennsylvanians use to usher in the New Year. When I arrived here from Utah some 12+ years ago, other than the ball drop in Times Square, I'd never heard of things being dropped in celebration of New Year. I was stunned to learn that some communities raise items instead of dropping them. Bizarre! I've gotten used to it all by now.

Our little family is much more low key. This year we hosted a party and invited several of Em and Brie's classmates, as well as Tibbs and Tibbsette to come and celebrate with us. It was a nice evening spent watching a movie, playing Apples to Apples, Wii, and watching the ball drop in Times Square. There was plenty to eat and drink... with sparking cider offered up at midnight. New Year's Day we hosted our annual pork, kraut, potatoes and baked corn casserole lunch for anyone who showed up. My sister, Cindy, and her entire family showed up.... 17 guests in all. We were missing Jason (who was sick) and Ben (who was busy piloting a jet) this year. Maybe they'll join us next year. What a fun afternoon! I just love New Year's Day with my loved ones.

So regardless of how you celebrated the day, I hope you have the best year ever. Cheers....

No comments: