Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, January 15, 2010

Triumph & Tragedy

The events of the past few days have got me thinking about miracles. We often think of miracles in terms of the "big events." Of course that is true... such as was the case of Flight 1549... also known as "The Miracle on the Hudson" flight. One year ago today we were glued to our televisions watching everything unfold...Thanks to the skill and dedication of a phenomenal crew, not a single life was lost.Fast forward 365 days and once again we're glued to the TV, only this time we're watching devastating images come across the screen.The 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit Haiti has killed tens of thousands of people in a matter of minutes.People are asking "Where is God" when calamities occur. But do we stop and recognize the miracles taking place around us every day? This morning I woke up. I slept safely and comfortably through the night. I drove to and from work safely. My children were unharmed as they went about their day. We had a nice supper tonight. Babies were born... cancers were cured... hearts began to beat once again... the sun rose... the earth still spins on its axis. Are those not miracles?Certainly we have reason to mourn for those who are suffering throughout the world. I'm thankful I'm not in Haiti... that I'm not going through the heartbreak they are experiencing, however, I am also very much aware that God IS with them. He has not forsaken them. They are not alone. Prayers are being offered up on their behalf by people all over the world. Those prayers are being heard.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say other than I see the hand of God every day... even in times of crisis. I wish bad things didn't happen, but I also know it is an important part of our mortal journey to go through and learn from adversity. I'm just grateful for the knowledge that I don't have to go through anything alone.. unless I choose to do so. Anytime I call out, God will be with me. Of that I have no doubt.It comes down to what I choose to believe. I DO believe that God, my Eternal Father has everything under control. He is aware. He loves me. He loves us all.

1 comment:

Candace said...

THANK YOU for this post! You are a great example of faith! love it!