Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, January 9, 2010

More "Heroes"

The other day I came across a Facebook posting. A mother was asking her daughter-in-law if she had heard from her son... "Jamie, where is Chad today? He's been terribly quiet. I worry about him when I don't hear from him." That simple question really got to me. Her son is deployed in the middle east and here she is worrying about his safety. I realize that goes without saying, however, it really hit home when I read her message.I came across this tribute to military moms...

THE "MILITARY" MOM
by Eileen Hall 1998

There hasn't been much said
about the "military" mom...
yet no wars could ever
have been won without her.
A "military" mom is a teacher
of independence, perseverance,
discipline, and integrity;
possesses a great sense of humor,
and can make of any house a home.
She is a woman of quiet strength
who has shaped the hearts
of our bravest heroes
and taught them
to value peace above all.
The "military" mom is unshakable
in love for her country.
That is how she is able to let go
of her most precious treasure-
a son or daughter.
We proudly salute
and thank
the "military" mom.


For the record, I also wish to recognize the military spouses. Without your willingness to have your husbands or wives serve, we would be woefully unprotected. Thank you for your sacrifice as well.
THE MILITARY SPOUSE
~Author Unknown

When the good Lord was creating military spouses, He was into His sixth day of overtime. An Angel appeared and said, "You're having a lot of trouble on this one. What's wrong with the standard model?"

The Lord replied, "Have you ever seen the regulations? It has to be completely independent, must be sponsored to get on base, have the qualities of both mother and father during deployments; Be a perfect hostess to four or 40, handle emergencies without military orders, cope with the flu and move around the world, have a kiss that cures anything from a child's torn valentine to a soldier's weary day, have the patience of a saint when waiting for the unit to return stateside, and have six pairs of soft hands."

The Angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pair of hands? No way!" And the Lord answered, "Don't worry. We'll make other military spouses to help. Besides, it's not the hands that are causing the problem - it's the heart. It must swell with pride, sustain the ache of separation, beat soundly when it's too tired to do so, be large enough to say 'I understand' when it doesn't, and say 'I love you,' regardless."

"Lord," said the Angel, touching his sleeve gently, "go to bed. You can finish that tomorrow." "I can't," said the Lord. "I'm too close to creating something unique. Already I have one who can heal itself when sick, feed unexpected guests who are stuck in the area due to bad weather, and wave goodbye to its spouse from a pier or runway and understand it's important to the country that the spouse leave."

The Angel circled the model of the military spouse very slowly. "It's too soft," she sighed. "But tough," the Lord said excitedly. "You cannot imagine what this being can do or endure!" "Can it think?" the Angel asked. "Can it think? It can convert 1400 to 2 p.m.!" the Lord said. Finally, the Angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model." "It's not a leak," said the Lord. "It's a tear." "What's it for?" asked the Angel. "It's for joy, sadness, pain, loneliness and pride," the Lord said. "You're a genius," said the Angel.
The Lord looked somber and said, "I didn't put it there."You, the families of those serving our country... please remember that you are being prayed for daily. You are not alone. You are the quiet "heroes." Thank You!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Thank you so much, Brenda! That was so beautiful. I'm sitting here crying after what you wrote. I do worry about Chad. Day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Thank you so much for your salute to the military men and women and their families. I salute you for supporting them. Love you!

Candace said...

Amen! I swell with pride every time I see a man or woman in uniform. I greatly appreciate their sacrifice and the sacrifice of there families. They hold a special place in my heart! Thanks to all those currently serving, have previously served and will yet serve.

Mary said...

I love the clip art you pick.