Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cross Roads

Now that Emile is a Junior and lots of her friends have (or are getting) their driver's license (not just permits), I'm at another challenging stage of parenting. And as usual I'm being too strict or wanting to hold Emile back (at least in her eyes). Oh, to be young and naive again. Keeping in mind that the frontal lobe of the brain (the reasoning center) isn't fully developed, I can see the potential of what could go wrong much clearer than she can. As a parent I want to protect her from unnecessary harm. As a teen she wants me to back off and let her live her life. There in-lies the problem.  

I am all too aware of what the statistics are. And I don't want Emile to become one... of course she's convinced she won't. Here's some cold hard facts relating to teen drivers - ALL PHOTOS ARE THE RESULT OF TEEN DRIVER CRASHES:
TEEN CRASHES ARE THE NUMBER 1 KILLER OF TEENS!


MORE THAN 5000 TEENS DIE IN CRASHES PER YEAR!

AFTER 9PM TEENS ARE 3 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO DIE IN A CAR CRASH!

87% OF TEEN CRASH DEATHS ARE THE RESULT OF DISTRACTED DRIVING!



  • ADDING 1 PASSENGER INCREASES FATAL CRASH RISK BY 48%
  • ADDING 2 PASSENGERS INCREASES FATAL CRASH RISK BY 158%
  • CELL PHONE USAGE WHILE DRIVING INCREASES FATAL CRASH RISK BY 300%
Given these stats, is it any wonder I'm concerned? For some silly reason I don't want to get the call requesting I come to the morgue and identify my daughter.


Nor do I wish to watch as my daughter's casket is lowered into the ground.

Now all I have to do is make sure Emile knows the true risks involved. It's not about money.... it's not about liking someone... it's about....
LIFE AND DEATH

3 comments:

Sommer said...

That is a very scary thing. I know I'm not looking forword to that time either. Good luck with whatever you decide, and may the spirit be with you every step of the way so you will know the best choices to make.

Mary said...

I think that you should look at this post and then look at your post above about seeing the hand of God in everyday life. OUr God is a God of faith not fear and although your concerns are valid, I might be with Em on this one. Perhaps there is a compromise where you let her drive, but while placing restrictions on the most dangerous times or circumstances.

We Three Queens said...

Mary... I did compromise. Actually I backed down and gave up. It wasn't worth the fight. I'm tired and at this point I pretty much let Emile do whatever she wants. I do, however, reserve the right to not allow her to have a full license until I know she is ready... and I will not allow her to have another non family passenger in our vehicle until she has had her full license for 6 months. You and I both know a newly licensed driver (like a few days) isn't as skilled and prepared for quick decisions as an experienced driver is. My only request was that she not ride with a new driver (unless parents were also in vehicle) for 6 months. As it is, I am relying on faith. I'm also very aware that faith without works is dead... It was much easier to deal with the childhood issues (like falling off the swing set) than it is with the life and possible death issues (like a car crash) now. Thanks for your input though.