Inspirational Thoughts

Monday, December 1, 2008

Monday Memories

Just a teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down.....

We've all heard that line from the Mary Poppins hit, right? How many of you actually had the pleasure of actually taking medicine laced with sugar? My memory today deals with vinegar and sugar. During my childhood, if I became ill, my mother would always treat me with a tablespoon of vinegar and sugar. First she'd put the sugar on the spoon, then she'd drop enough vinegar on to make it liquid... although you could still see the sugar too. Then down the hatch it went!!! YUMMY. Ok, not exactly. More times than not I can remember gagging on the stuff. I hated getting sick if for no other reason than having to take the nasty crap.

In spite of the vinegar and sugar remedy, I survived all my childhood illnesses. I truly can't recall if the remedy worked or not. I suppose it did in some way. I have NEVER used it as an adult (although I have soaked in cider vinegar and ginger following therapeutic massages) nor have I forced it down the throats of my children. Maybe my mom (and her mom before) had something. I just hated it so much I gave it up for over-the-counter concoctions instead. Call me a wimp.....

3 comments:

Dusty said...

Jason's dad makes some interesting concoctions out of herbs and things that supposedly work for the flu and cold and nausea. I only tried the one call "anti-nausea". Yeah, I would much rather feel like crap than drink that stuff. Yuck!! It worked but tasted terrible. I'll stick to Pepto. Hee Hee....

Beckie said...

Wow. I can't imagine the smell hitting your nose and knowing what was coming.

Ashley said...

Some of the over the counter stuff is pretty nasty too! Yuck! I just hating taking any kind of liquid medicine. I'll be a wimp right along with you!
I love your slide show! I can't believe how much older the girls look. They are beautiful! I'd be happy if you'd add me to your blog! :0)