Inspirational Thoughts

Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday Memories

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

That it is. We've got the tree up. The front porch is decorated. I still could do a few more things in the house but I'm not sure if I will or not. Remember, whatever I put out now will have to be put away in a month. You know what I mean, right?! Besides, if I stop decorating now, I'll have more time to bake. That brings me to my Monday Memory..... Holiday Baking.

When I was a kid my mom wasn't really into baking. It wasn't that she was a bad cook, she just wasn't into it. There were always a few things we did make during the holiday season. Like most people we made sugar cookies. That was always a BLAST for us kids... not so much for Mom. Perhaps it was the mess we left in our wake....Mom made fudge. I don't remember her making it every year, but when she did it was good.Mom was an expert at two particular items. First, was her mashed potato candy. I can remember her mixing the powdered sugar in with the potato and stirring until she had a dough ball.. then she'd roll it out and smooth peanut butter over the surface. Next she'd roll it up and cut it into bite size pieces. Some batches she'd put red or green food coloring in so they'd be more "Christmasy." They tasted so good! I had almost forgot about the candy until a few years ago when all of a sudden it popped back into my mind.Last but not least, Mom was FANTASTIC at making fruitcake. Now keep in mind that I hate fruitcake. I can't even say I liked her fruitcake. I did like watching her make it... the time and love that went into each step. She truly took pride in this and it showed. She would make several each Christmas to give as gifts. When they were finished baking and cooling, she'd painstakingly wrap each one, place it in a round tin, seal it, and prepare it for mailing across the country. It was a labor of love for her. Her fruitcakes were truly beautiful.

I have no intention of making a fruitcake anytime soon. I will, however, be baking with the girls this year. Brie in particular is interested in making some treats to share with others. It's great being at a stage of life where my children enjoy helping me with some of the fun stuff that goes along with the holiday season. I'll have to make sure and take some pictures of our adventures in baking. Who knows, maybe someday my own children will be sharing "Monday Memories" with their children and look back at the pictures we take this year. Something fun to consider.

3 comments:

Mary said...

My mom made potato candy too. And I remember once for a science project or something at school I made it for the class. Everyone was freaked out but in the end liked it. I should get a recipe and make it for my kids. Thanks for the memory I wouldn't have remembered otherwise.

Beckie said...

Oh cute. I usually make a ton of cookies around Christmas but have been sick due to the worst cold ever I can't even make it. I am so so so sad.

Sarah said...

Wow, what amazing food!