Inspirational Thoughts

Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Memories

Since Thanksgiving is this week, I thought I'd take the opportunity to share some memories of past Thanksgivings. It seems that regardless of how chaotic life was for our family, holidays always seemed to come together and were special. I don't really remember spending Thanksgiving with my grandparents. Perhaps we did and I was too young to remember. Here are some things I do recall.

I can clearly remember waking on Thanksgiving morning when it was still dark outside. I would hear Mom in the kitchen cooking and even though it was still dark I could already smell a delicious aroma coming through my bedroom door. It was one of the few mornings we didn't have to worry about getting up too early (probably because we'd just be underfoot). I'd fall back to sleep for awhile but when I woke again it would be because the smell was even better than it had been earlier.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Parade was always fun to watch. It still is. Even though I don't get to watch all of it now, I still enjoy as much of it as I can. I think this year I'll be able to see most of it because of doing much of the prep work on Wednesday, including roasting the turkey.When it was time to eat we'd all gather at the table. A leaf would be added so that all the food would fit. Mom would set the table with her finest china. You knew you had made the "big time" when you got to sit at the "grown up" table and eat off the china. It was always neat to drink from the crystal.Now I have a family of my own. I have china and crystal which the girls love to eat off of just like I did. It's every bit as special to me to share in the bounty and blessings of the season... just as I'm sure it was for my mother. We have made it a bit of a tradition to invite a family or person to our home for dinner. Perhaps they may be alone or away from their own loved ones on Thanksgiving. It always feels better to spend the day with others, doesn't it?

So as Thanksgiving approaches, may the blessings we have been provided with be in our hearts. May we be mindful of family, friends and those who may not have the things we do. HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Thanksgiving is the best isn't? Each year we typically invite people over, but this year we are going to Benj's house. I love being with family and friends.