Inspirational Thoughts

Thursday, June 2, 2011

No Way!

I had my first follow-up appointment with Dr. Monk yesterday. I was really looking forward to it because I was really hoping to get the surgical drain removed. There's something icky about having a tube hanging out of your body, attached to a bulb which is catching your bodily fluids. It's also uncomfortable because you can feel some of the tube pulling inside your body. I was still draining quite a bit so I wasn't sure if Dr. M would remove it or not. Fortunately he did! Yay for me.Before seeing Dr. Monk I had to weigh in and have my vitals checked by the nurse. I stepped up on the scale and just about flipped. I weighed 312! I couldn't believe it. I felt so defeated right at that moment. I was so excited when I found out I had lost 12 lbs. before surgery, then to have gained 20 lbs. in less than a week. What the heck. Both the nurse and Dr. M assured me that this is absolutely normal and happens because of all the IV fluids that are pumped into the body. While I understand that, it doesn't make the reality any easier. Since I can't do anything about it, I just have to accept it and move forward and lose the weight all over again.

Other than the weight gain, everything else was terrific. My vitals were normal. My Coumadin levels are good. Everything is healing nicely. I was even cleared to drive. Dr. Monk told me to go see a movie or do something else fun for myself. I really love this man. He's a good guy... and my hero.

No comments: