Inspirational Thoughts

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A New Day

I've had several people mention they couldn't wait to read my blog post about my experience with my gastric bypass surgery. Here goes. To begin... here are the final pictures of me before I got changed in the pre-op area. Many people told me to take "before" pictures so I could see how much I change.As of May 26th my weight was 292. During the 11 days prior to surgery I lost 12 lbs. and was totally thrilled! After pics I changed into a gown and the nurse started all the prep stuff. Having arrived at 8:15am, my surgery was estimated to begin at around 10am. For unknown reasons, I wasn't taken back until nearly noon. While waiting I saw Dr. Nick, Dr. Monk, and the anesthesiologist. Each doctor went over last minute details and Dr. Monk wrote on my stomach to indicate what I was having done. Afterward he gave Emile the marker. BAD IDEA! Emile had a delightful time amusing herself.When it was time to say our good-byes I headed one way, Em the other. I've got to admit that I was surprisingly calm and ready. I think it's because I have been working for so long to get this done that when the time finally arrived I was in the mind set of "get r' done."After entering the OR I had a few things explained to me, asked a few questions, then had a nurse put a O2 mask over my face as the anesthesiologist told me that a drug he was putting into my IV would probably make my arm burn and ache for a few seconds. That's the last thing I remember.... Nice! Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery some 4 hours later. I wasn't in much pain, however, I was feeling pretty nauseous. I remember hearing a nurse tell me she was giving me some meds for that. Thank heaven. I have a terrible time coming out of anesthesia.

At around 5:30pm I arrived at my room. I was asked if I wanted to walk in and I responded that I did. I knew it would hurt, but at the same time I knew it was best for me to get moving. I made it to a reclining chair a few steps later... blessed relief. I only remember bits on pieces of that night. I know Cindy, Emile, and Matt were there. I heard some stuff on the TV about severe storms in the area, but other than that I was pretty much out of it. I ended up sleeping the entire night in the recliner. I was ok with that.

Friday morning at 7:30 I went down for an upper GI; it's done to make sure all the staple/suture lines are tight and there's no leaks. Other than getting onto the X-ray table, it went just fine. A couple hours later I found out I had passed and I was able to have my foley removed and start sipping water. The rest of my hospital stay was pretty routine. Lots of bloating, lots and LOTS and LOTS of walking. Even the nurses on the overnight shift couldn't believe how much I walked. Frankly, it felt better to walk. Showers also felt wonderful. By Saturday afternoon I was cleared to go home but had to wait until 4 bags of potassium (which took 2 hours each to go in) were infused. I finally finished up at 6:30pm. Em had arrived about 40 minutes earlier so I was ready as soon as they said I could leave. After a quick stop at Wal*Mart for my prescriptions to be dropped off, we got home at 7:30. It was so good to be home. Even though I got wonderful care in the hospital, there's still no place as great as your own home.

SO there you have it. Now it's onward and upward to bigger (figuratively speaking) and better things. I'm so thankful for my health remaining stable and for the skilled medical team I had caring for me. They have truly given me a wonderful gift.

No comments: