Inspirational Thoughts

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Is it Love I'm Feeling? Or....

As I've raised Emile and Brie, I've tried to share with them what it means to love someone (as in opposite sex). Society is telling our youth that they must be in an exclusive "relationship" or they're loose. Dating more than one person is just wrong in this day and age. When did that happen? Didn't it used to be that you purposely dated more than one person so you got to know about different personalities, likes, dislikes, standards, goals, viewpoints, etc.? That's not how it is anymore. Thus we have a huge problem differentiating between LOVE and LUST.When I was in college I rented a small efficiency apartment from our Stake Patriarch and his wife, "Mother" Opal. She was a very wise woman. At the time I didn't see it that way, in fact, I didn't like her much at all. Deep inside I loved her though. One day we were having a discussion and I told her I loved someone. She quickly corrected me by saying, "You 'lust' someone." At that moment, I was very angry with her. Who did she think she was? How dare she imply that I didn't know the difference between love and lust! Fact is, she was dead on. It wasn't love I was feeling. It was lust! Unfortunately I didn't listen to her. I made some poor decisions, and after a period of time, the "love of my life" went on to the next "love of his life." I was left with guilt and shame. Wasn't "love" grand??? Oh wait, it wasn't love, it was lust.And so we now come to the point where Em is of dating age, and Brie is rapidly approaching. They are swimming through pretty murky waters right now. I'm telling them one thing, their friends are telling them another. Are they making choices which are causing them to drift into deeper and more unsafe water? I know they has been taught correct principles. They both know what is right and what is wrong. Now they must choose for themselves. If they push me away, that is their choice. They must then live with the consequences of that decision. I will be here for them. I love them both and will not abandon them like some of their friends may, and society surely will. They also have a loving Heavenly Father they can turn to at any time. HE will NEVER forsake them.If the fairy tale's don't work out quite the way my precious daughter's think it will, I will be waiting and watching as they mend their broken hearts and wounded spirits.

No comments: