Inspirational Thoughts

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Great Aunt Arizona

 
Posted by Picasa
Last Thursday evening, I had the opportunity of going to Lincolnway Elementary School for a "Campfire Read Aloud." It was held in the cafeteria and broke into several parts. First the children and their families spread blankets out on the floor and shared snacks. After that they read by flashlight. Next, it was my turn. I was the storyteller.... Great Aunt Arizona.. and I had about 25 minutes to tell a story and read a book. I had a blast. It was so much fun... and of course with my love of reading, I will do anything in my power to encourage children to read. I actually ran into someone yesterday who was looking at me rather funny. Finally he said, "Great Aunt Arizona?" I had to laugh. He told me he had been there that evening with his son. It was cool to be recognized that fast. Hopefully this will only be the beginning of many more invitations to be a storyteller at different places.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

That sounded so neat! I wish we could have gone, but Andy was working late that night. Thanks for posting!

Ashley said...

How fun! My school needs to do something creative like that! It looks like a good many parents were involved. What a great way to pass on a love for reading! :0)

Lucinda said...

That sounds fun, but I'm going to stick with calling you my great Aunt Brenda!