Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, February 20, 2009

The City of Joy

Last night was our book club meeting. Our book this month was The City of Joy and after last month's choice, I found this book much easier to "digest." The story was about life in Calcutta, India. It was terribly distressing in areas, and completely uplifting in others. It reminded me of how many blessings I have... of how easy life is for me. With that in mind, I decided to list some of the things I am thankful for. Here goes.

I am thankful for:
1. My life
2. My home
3. My family... sisters, brother, (mother and father even though they have passed on), uncles, aunts, etc.
4. My children..(Emile is telling me to look at this the next time I say "I hate my life")
5. My employment
6. My pets... Samantha, Kitty, Angel, and Oreo
7. Trusted friends... Kristi, Cheri, Lesa, and Pat
8. My heater
9. Running water
10. Flushing toilets
11. My washer and dryer
12. My van
13. My health
14. My warm bed at the end of a long day
15. Music
16. My books
17. Sunrise and sunset
18. Fresh, clean air
19. Mountains and forests
20. Food to eat
21. My computer (and access to the internet... it's so easy to keep up with loved ones)
22. Electricity
23. My citizenship and the freedoms I enjoy
24. My talents
25. Access to medical care
26. Coca Cola
27. My rocking chairs (I have 3)
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST......
28. My church
29. The scriptures
AND
30. My Savior

Obviously these are not listed in order of importance. There are so many more things I enjoy on a daily basis. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be to live in India... in the slums. I have been blessed by being born here in the United States. Yes I had challenges as a child, however, those experiences gave me the drive to succeed and make life better for my own children. Without a doubt I make mistakes all the time. There are things I can do better... and with time I have grown and evolved into a better person. When I stop improving... when I stop seeing the beauty around me... when I fail to see how many blessings I have, I cease to be alive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

love ya, girl..... glad you mentioned there was no particular order..... HAHAHAHA

Anonymous said...

well okay, I am "anonymous".. NOT. but sometimes I am rather dysfunctional, duh. Great list to be thankful for. Someone else mentioned that is a good book. I will have to borrow it from the library here in Canada... once I pay $20 to get a library card (for a year).

Ashley said...

Thank you for the post. I needed to be reminded of all the things I should be grateful in my life! I think I need to check that book out!

Sommer said...

you are amazing! I'm so thankful for this post, it's so good to be reminded of the daily things we take for granted!

Beckie said...

I have heard about that book, but never read it. Maybe I will find a free weekend and pick it up.