Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pioneer Day

Today is a very special day in the history of my church. It's Pioneer Day. As you know, I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In the early days of the church, the members had to endure terrible persecution. They were forced from state to state and were abused, tortured, and oft times murdered. When they left one area all of their properties were taken by local people. The early members were hard working and lost everything (except their faith in the Lord) over and over. Finally after the martyrdom of Joseph Smith, the trek west began. This is of course a very brief synopsis, much more can be learned from reading accounts of the history of the church, as well as talking with descendants of the members.

Pioneer Day isn't celebrated here in the east like it is in the west, which is truly unfortunate. There is so much we should remember and appreciate about the pioneers. Can you imagine leaving your home with just the absolute necessities you would need to survive a journey across half the continent? Can you imagine giving birth on the trek west? What about laying your loved ones to rest in a shallow grave along the way?I can't comprehend it. The sorrow they must have endured.

When I was a young teenager, I lived a Mayer, Az. This was a very small and old town in the middle of Arizona... almost a ghost town. Our family were members of a small branch. After a time of meeting in the house the church rented out for the missionaries, we grew large enough to purchase an old rodeo arena in Dewey, Az. The year I was 14, we were preparing to celebrate Pioneer Day. That day it had rained the entire day... and not just a little rain, gully washer type of rain (which is very unusual for summer's in July in Arizona). As the time grew closer for the celebration to start, I prayed for the rain to stop. I was so sure the events would be called off.

My brother and I were picked up by some of the members of the branch. On the way to Dewey (about 15-20 minutes up the road), the rain stopped. We had a wonderful time. We ate beef (that had been cooked in burlap sacks in the ground all day), different dishes cooked in dutch ovens over open fires, lemonade... all the "fixin's." We played games, square danced to fiddles and guitars, and sang around the fires. The evening is still a fond memory in my mind... especially because of the fact that as we were saying the closing prayer, I started to feel rain drops. By the time we were driving home, it was pouring again. This is one of the times I clearly remember knowing that Heavenly Father heard my prayers (as well as the prayers of many others) and had stopped the rain for a few hours. That was 31 years ago.

I miss celebrating Pioneer Day. Perhaps someday we'll have the chance to do something special here as well. I am so thankful for the heritage of my church. I am grateful for the members who gave all to further the cause of the gospel. While I don't have "pioneer" members who traveled west, I do have pioneer members of my extended family who helped lay the foundation for the gospel in this part of the east. I am thankful for their example and faithfulness.

I know the gospel is true. I know we are led by a living prophet. I know the Savior stands at the head... that all things are through him as directed by Heavenly Father. I am thankful for that knowledge especially on this ... Pioneer Day.

No comments: