Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, July 22, 2007

An Elephant's Eye


You know the saying about corn in the summer......"The corn is as high as an elephant's eye?" Does anyone know where that originated? I just wondered. Did it just come from the song "Oh What A Beautiful Morning?"

Well anyway, I've been driving past field after field of corn this summer and it got me thinking. I love corn on the cob. I remember playing Jack-In-The-Beanstock as a child in a field of corn close to where we lived. The farmer didn't much care for us doing so and I swear he shot at us one time. We were scared out of our wits. I don't remember playing that game in that field ever again. Bummer, it really was quite fun.
I stopped and took a few pictures of corn growing on the way to Hanover last weekend. It was neat to see it blowing in the wind... to "hear" the corn stocks "talking".... no, they really didn't say anything to me... just for the record. I don't want any of you thinking I'm nuts.



While I don't think the corn was as high as an elephant's eye, it was getting close. I don't think it will be much longer until it is. Although tempting, I didn't go wandering through the corn field either. Maybe it would be fun to do so at night.... you know, like the movie "Signs" type stuff... crop circles, etc.


Another "elephant's eye"... this one is in Capetown, Africa. The eye is a cave. Lots of people hike it. Don't really know much more about it than that.



One last "elephant's eye"... this one is somewhere in the United States. See if you can find it. I think it's supposed to be some kind of an Inn or maybe a Bed and Breakfast. I'm not sure; maybe it's just someone's backyard. Regardless, I thought it was interesting that it came up on an elephant's eye search.

No comments: