Inspirational Thoughts

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ugly Politics and Smear Campaigns

Most people who know me well enough know that I'm fiercely conservative in my political views. I still believe in the Constitution and in the liberties it provides for citizens of The United States of America. I also love this great nation in which I live. I cannot imagine living anywhere else. This is my country and I love it dearly.We are about to enter an election year. In 2012 we will be electing our President for another four years. Without a doubt I hope that President Obama is defeated. Since the beginning of his term, he has done nothing to stabilize the economy, stop the influx of illegal immigrants into the country, reduce the risk of terrorism, or bring the citizens of this great nation together. If anything we've become more divided and at risk than we've ever been. I want to see a person in the White House who knows what he/she is doing, loves this great nation, and will serve the people honorably. Gee, what a novel idea.So far we've had an interesting array of candidates to emerge. It's still too early to determine which will earn the Republican nomination, however, some have interesting ideas and thoughts about how to correct the problems we're facing. One such candidate was Herman Cain.Cain was the CEO of Godfather's Pizza for many years. He was started off doing very well in his campaigning and held his own during debates. He introduced the "9-9-9 Plan." This plan would replace all current taxes (including the payroll tax, capital gains tax, and the estate tax) with 9% business transaction tax; 9% personal income tax rate, and a 9% federal sales tax. Some people called it foolish and totally out of the realm of possibility. Seems to me that at least he was thinking outside of the box. Unfortunately, it appears Cain was gaining enough support and ruffling enough feathers for a serious smear campaign to be launched against him. He was accused of infidelity and sexual harassment by some women, which he denies. It was enough to cast doubt in the minds of his supporters and his poll numbers began to fall. A few days ago Cain issued the following statement......

"The allegations have cast a cloud of doubt over me and this campaign. As of today, with a lot of prayer and soul searching, I am suspending my presidential campaign. I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt . . . on me, on my family, not because we are not fighters, not because I am not a fighter. The pundits would like for me to shut up, drop out and go away. I am not going to be silenced, and I am not going away."So there you have it. The first candidate to be brought down by the ugly politics. I'm certain this is only the beginning of the ugliness which will continue for the next year. I fear that things are going to get worse for the citizens of the U.S. before they get better.

As a side note, I did a little research. I discovered that the following U.S. Presidents were guilty of infidelity....
1. Thomas Jefferson (Democrat and Republican)
2. Andrew Jackson (Democrat)
3. Martin Van Buren (Democrat)
4. James A. Garfield (Republican)
5. Grover Cleveland (Democrat)
6. Warren G. Harding (Republican)
7. Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat)
8. Dwight Eisenhower (Republican)
9. John F. Kennedy (Democrat)
10. Lyndon B. Johnson (Democrat)
11. William Clinton (Democrat)
I heard so many people commenting on how they could never trust a candidate who would cheat on his wife. Imagine that! I've got to say.... I've got an issue with this as well. I don't think it's ever okay to have an affair. EVER! So while I agree with not electing a man who would not remain faithful to his wife and the vows they entered into, I find it hard to swallow that we have elected men such as this for years and years. Infidelity is nothing new in politics. We actually have some candidates who are men AND women with upstanding moral standards. Unfortunately, more than likely, they will NOT be taken serious or receive the nomination. It seems the nature of the beast to overlook people with integrity. How sad is that?

No comments: