Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hands

We've all heard the saying... "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world," but how many of us have truly think about the HAND itself? Today our lesson in Relief Society was presented by Sister Bradford, and it was truly a wonderful lesson.Hands have always fascinated me. I love watching people do things with their hands. As women our hands serve us well. I cannot imagine not having use of mine.... especially because I love handcrafts of all types. I love feeling the soil in my hands (I loathe gloves). My hands have stroked my baby's face, and someday will hold my grand babies. My hands have helped babies come into the world, and loved ones leave this world. My hands have literally helped save lives.Then there are the hands of the men in our lives. The hands of those who hold the Priesthood provide service to us day in and day out. Those hands have blessed me more times than I can count. Each week the hands of our young men bless and pass the sacrament so we can renew our baptismal covenants. And who doesn't feel a tender spot in their heart when they see hands cradle a new baby in a circle to give a name and blessing? How thankful I am for the hands of the Priesthood.And what about the hands of the Savior? The miracles he performed, the children he blessed, the feet he washed... the hands he clasped in Gethsemane as he prayed and atoned for our sins. Those same hands carried a cross to Golgotha.... those same hands were nailed to that cross as our Savior died for us.I found this picture when I lived in Utah and knew I wanted this in my home. All I could see was the sweet and pure innocence of this child as she looked in the eyes of Jesus and asked the question... "What happened to your hand?"Here are my hands. They are starting to look a little older than they used to. I see that some of the definition is changing and sometimes they hurt a little. So far they have served me very well... and I hope I will be able to use them for many years to come. Someday they will be old and frail... they won't work as I may want them to... and they may not look very pretty. They will have a story to tell for any who chose to look closely enough though. I hope that I have made a difference with my hands. And I pray that as I go forward I will do things which will make a positive and uplifting difference in my life as well as the lives of those I come into contact with. I'm indeed very grateful for my hands.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Janet Shearer gave a RS lesson years ago and showed a video to the song "His Hands". It had quite an impact on me. Our hands are His hands and are to be used to serve and help others here on Earth.

Gotta "hand" it to ya, this was a "hand"some blog with all those pictures. You are pretty "handy" with the computer! <3