Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, October 29, 2010

Emile's Accomplishments

I know I've had some struggles with Emile along the way, however, there are a lot of terrific things about my beautiful daughter. She has had a few very busy months lately and I thought it was a perfect time to share some of the highlights.

First of all, regardless of differences Emile and I have on certain issues, there is one thing I would never deny. Emile has a very compassionate and generous side to her. When she sees someone down on their luck or truly in need, it really bothers her and she wants to try to help. When she was a young child, she heard a radio ad about a child in tattered clothes and no shoes, sitting on a rock. The child was cold and shivering. Emile started crying and wanted to send her clothes and money to the child. I was so impressed. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that she's doing what she's doing now.

Right now the United Way is in the middle of their yearly campaign to raise money for the community partners they help support.Emile has stepped up and agreed to donate $5.00 from each of her paychecks. She designated that her donation should be sent to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization here in York. Em and Brie both had *BIGS* when they were younger (Brie still has a BIG).The amount she's donating may not seem like a lot, however, over the course of a year, it's $260.00. That's pretty good for a teenager.

The second thing Emile has decided to do is donate blood. She's doing it in memory of Lesa. I had explained how I began donating blood my senior year in high school and she thought it was pretty cool.Today she donated for the first time at the blood drive at school. She was excited to do it. YAY, Emile!!!

And finally, it appears Emile has selected a college to attend.We will be meeting with staff from Pittsburgh Technical Institute next week to turn in applications, discuss financial aide, and schedule a campus tour.If everything works out, she'll graduate in 2013 with an Associates of Applied Science in Safety and Security. That will prepare her to enter the police academy the following year. She's very excited and nervous at the same time. I know she has the ability to do great though.

There you have it. Em's growing up. I still can't believe she's already 17 and about to set out on her own life. So much has happened since her birth... some painful things, some exhilarating things. Pretty normal I suppose. In many ways it's just the beginning, isn't it?!