Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day Early

With Valentine's Day tomorrow, I got to thinking about some of the fun things I've done on past Valentine's Days. I thought first about the different story books I used to read to the girls.
There was CliffordAnd we had BarneyOf course what Hispanic child doesn't have Dora?A fun "catch all" book.And one of my very favorite story books.

I'm certain there are more books around here but these are the ones that stick out in my head. I also thought about when I was a child. Remember when we used to decorate shoe boxes for our valentine's cards to go in?I loved doing that! I'm not sure I ever caught on to the "less is more" way of thinking. My box was generally a train wreck of sorts... but I still loved making it.The valentine's cards were much "simpler" than they are today. We'd hand out cards and have a party complete with cupcakes, brownies, punch, and of course heart shaped conversation candy.

As I got older I received chocolates on Valentine's Day.
It's been 12 years since I got chocolates now. That's ok though. I get special handmade cards from the girls most years. Sometimes I've gotten breakfast in bed... or some other little treat. I've come to realize that for me Valentine's Day is a day to appreciate the loved ones I have in my life. It's fun to remember, but it's way more fun to put my arms around my daughter's and know how blessed I am to have them in my life. That's totally better than any card, candy or flower. Having said that...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY....

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I LOVED Valentines Day at school when I was a kid!! Sometimes we decorated paper bags and hung them up, other times we made pockets. It was always a good time, and EVERYONE in the class got one -- no playing favorites and no discriminating.

Happy Valentines Day! Love you!!