Inspirational Thoughts

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Funnel Cakes

What would life be like without funnel cakes? Just smelling them while they cook reminds you of going to the fair/carnival in early fall... Standing at the vendor's window waiting for your piping hot cake to come up... covered with powdered sugar...Oh, that first delicious bite! Life is instantly good.

Since it's the middle of winter and the ground is covered with snow, I decided to surprise the girls last evening and make funnel cakes. They love it when I do so. It's a special treat when least expected. For those who love funnel cake as much as we do, here's the recipe I use. Have fun bringing the carnival home to you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Funnel Cake
1 Egg
2/3 C Milk
1/4 t Salt
2 T Sugar
1 1/3 C Sifted Flour
3/4 t Baking Powder

Oil
Powdered Sugar
Cinnamon & Sugar

Blend dry ingredients together. Beat egg, add milk. Pour into dry mixture. Mix well, adding more milk as needed to make batter pour easily (thin but not too runny). Using a funnel (or Ziploc bag with a corner cut off) pour batter into hot grease (375°) in circular motion. Fry until golden brown. Carefully turn over using tongs; fry approximately 1 more minute. Remove from grease; place on a plate covered with paper towel to drain.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar (or topping of your choice).
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I love you. Seriously can't wait to try these babies out.

Sommer said...

Yay thanks for posting this, I can't wait to try it!

Beau, Amanda, Gracie, and Evie said...

yummy!! I love funnel cakes and fairs! You know, my entire pregnancy I had a severe aversion to anything deep fried it would make me so sick...thank goodness that passed!