Inspirational Thoughts

Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday Memories

Stealing the "Flashback Fridays" idea from Jamie, I decided to start "Monday Memories." I thought it would be cool to do this ... these will be upbeat memories I have. Hope it works out well.

Today's memory..... Winter Foot Attire.
As I was reading "The Christmas Sweater" by Glenn Beck, I was reminded of a similar winter "tradition." When we were kids growing up, money was very tight, as I'm sure it was for a lot of your families. Our mother never really worried about winter foot attire as much as I wished she would have. We lived in places where we received a fair amount of snow... not tons, just enough. As with most children, I thought I needed the best (and pinkest) boots one could find. Mother thought otherwise.Why would anyone spend as much money as it cost to purchase boots when we had everything needed to keep our feet dry right in our kitchen?The trusty loaf of Wonderbread. The "SUPERMAN" of breads... the "LIFESAVER" of feet everywhere!!All you had to do was save the bags, empty the crumbs, and walla.... instant boots! Of course you needed to make sure you had rubber bands too. I clearly remember the daily ritual. First 2 pair of socks, next the shoes, followed by the bag... or two if needed, fastened just below the knee with the rubber bands. You had to make sure your pant legs were tucked into the bags as well... thus finishing off this fashion statement. How mortifying!! Somehow it worked.... and I really did survive.

So what about you? Anyone else out there use the old bread bags? As much as I hate to admit it, I've even used it with my girls. Although they have snow boots, I've still had them put bags over their feet (but before the boots) just for added protection. Not lately since they can get themselves ready to be out in the cold. Have I become my mother????

3 comments:

Mary said...

I adore the Christmas music.

Beckie said...

How creative! Depending on the size of your family that could really save a lot of money.

Jamie said...

My brothers and I also had to wear the bags on our feet, although I think we wore hamburger bun bags. :) aaaahhh memories.