Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

To Steal An Idea

I read Jamie's entry "100 Things about Me" a little while back. It got me thinking and wondering if I could come up with as much. I don't think I can, however, I do think I've got 50 things worth recording. Here goes.

1. If you were to take all the names I've had, it would go something like this.. Brenda Lee Starr, Kauffman, McManus, Kauffman, Oxford, Lopez, Oxford. Ask, I'll explain. (Wouldn't it be fun trying to put this on my headstone)
2. I was born on June 7, 1964 in Chambersburg, PA. That's all I know. I don't know the time or my vital stats because of being adopted.
3. I was the youngest of 8 in my birth family.
4. I'm the next to the youngest in my "real" family. I have two older sisters and one younger brother.
5. I attended 19 schools between K-12. No, I wasn't a military "brat." We just moved around way too much. Stability..... what's that?
6. I write poetry... sometimes.
7. My first job was at 13. I hand painted Kachina Dolls in Arizona.8. My second job was as a waitress at Sandberg's Family Restaurant. I lied to get the job by saying I was 16 when I had just turned 15.
9. I've been to see Montezuma's Castle. This is a VERY small section of it. It's in Cottonwood, Az.10. I get heartburn A LOT! I have it now, which is why I'm typing this at 1:44AM.
11. I attended Yavapai College in Prescott, AZ. My major was Administration of Justice/Police Science.
12. I became an Arizona Certified Peace Officer. Yes, that would be a police officer.
13. I gained too much weight to stay a police officer.
14. I AM FAT!!15. I HATE BEING FAT!!!! IT SUCKS!!
16. I "self medicate" with food. It's my "drug of choice."
17. I don't smoke, drink, have sex, or take drugs. I eat.
18. I worked in a lay-midwifery program as an apprentice for 4 years. I attended many home births. All were incredible.19. I firmly believe in a woman's right to birth however and wherever she chooses. I think too many doctors have taken a "natural event" and turned it into a "medical condition." Shame on them.
20. I always wanted to have a baby girl with lots of hair. I had two.
21. I lost three other babies before having Emile and Gabrielle. It was the saddest, most devastating period of my life.
22. Someday I'll work full time assisting women as they give birth. I feel it's a calling to do so.
23. I am terrified of heights. I don't even like being on a ladder.
24. I am a procrastinator.
25. I believe in taking the "scenic route" through life.
26. One beautiful scenic route is through the Navajo Indian Reservation. Give it a try sometime.
27. I always wanted to be a Brownie when I was little. It never happened.28. I always wanted a kitten when I was little. That didn't happen, either.29. Both of my girls are Girl Scouts, and I've had pets my entire adult life. Right now I have two cats, Kitty and Angel. Life is good!
30. I'm very disorganized. I want to become better organized.
31. I feel like I'm a lousy mother a lot of the time.
32. I also feel my greatest accomplishment was becoming a mother.
33. I enjoy doing hand crafts.
34. The older I get the more I like country decor... you know, old distressed stuff.
35. I LOVE TO READ!! My favorite author is Richard Paul Evans. I have all but 3 of his published works (children's books)and my copy of the Christmas Box was from his original first publishing before he was famous at all. I cried my eyes out. I could relate so much, having lost three babies of my own. He's a wonderful author.36. I started scrapbooking 2 years ago. It's been so much fun. I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I do.
37. If I could do anything, I'd like to dive to the wreckage of the Titanic. I've always been intrigued by the disaster.38. I have little patience for lazy people who won't get a job and feel the world owes them. There are a lot of these type of people in this area.
39. I always tell my daughters, "Failure is not an option."
40. I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
41. I hope my daughters someday serve a mission for our church. I would like to do the same.
42. I was scared of thunderstorms when I was a child. Now I enjoy them. Nature's energy amazes me.43. I love to get a massage. They're wonderful and I always feel so good afterward.
44. I think it would be cool to spend a night in a castle.45. I have some very special friends in each of the states I've lived in as an adult. They are: Pat and Lark (AZ); Kristi and Diane (UT); Cheri and Lesa (PA).
46. I became and Emergency Medical Technician in 1988.47. I worked as an EMT at Kennecott Utah Copper for 8 years. That's where I met my former husband. He still works there. I now work as a Home Healthcare Provider.48. I know a little bit about quite a bit.
49. I don't know much about a lot.
50. Part of me died on September 11th.
To be continued at another date.

4 comments:

Donsher said...

Hi, I don't know if you remember me, I use to live in the fairport word with your sister Cindy!!I enjoy your blog. I like the 100 things(well, 50 in your case!) I thought of 2 more for you. 1. you are fun to be around and 2. you have an eye for beauty, esp. decorating, ie, your daughters room and your front porch, at least it looks that way judging from pictures from your blog.) and your #14 is my favorite;}}} take care, sherry
www.nogreaterjoymostdays.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

Thanks for posting your list. I really like reading it, but most of all, you answered a huge question that I have been wondering for years. I have always wondered where the name Oxford came from. Why did you keep that and not Kauffman?
Oh, and Sherry is in the Fairport NY ward, she meant the Lewisberry ward. :D She is also a Harry Potter fan.

Donsher said...

Oh yeah!;} Lewsiberry ward!! Sorry, getting old! or maybe i have a phobia that won't let me write Lesisberry, i mean....Lewiser, ahhh... well... what ever that old ward was, correctly;}}}}}

Sarah said...

I love the pics you added w/ your thoughts. Wish we could've made it to the play. How was it? I ended up getting sick that night.. sorry we missed it!