Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Library Time

I LOVE TO READ!! How many teachers wish they would hear their students say this? I'm not sure if I enjoyed reading when I was in school as much as I do now. My love for reading really began when I became a mother. I wanted my children to develop the ability to read well.. and to enjoy doing so. When the girls were younger we'd spend hours reading. One of their favorite things to do was go to the bookstore and sit in the children's reading section. We'd read to one another. Emile is at the point where reading isn't "cool" because she has to do so much of it for school. Brie, on the other hand, still loves reading. She checks out library books and we read them together through the week. It's great fun. Here are three of the books I read this past week. No, I'm not a speed reader. I had read a few very "deep" and intense books recently. I decided to take a break and go a bit light for a few books. Here they are. Light, but incredibly wonderful! Happy reading.



This book is about a young girl who has a preacher father and her mother abandoned the family. She feels isolated and alone in a new town. She meets a dog in a most unusual way and she falls instantly in love. She and the dog end up doing everything together while learning lessons and making friends with people you'd least expect. It's a story of understanding and forgiveness.





This story is about a young boy who lives a very simple life. His family doesn't have a lot, and his parents seem detached and caught up with just tryng to survive themselves. He isn't very popular at school. A girls moves into the house next door and a bond begins to form. She is not the typical girl he's used to. She has imagination and courage. They build a "kingdom" together. Tragedy strikes which will shake the core of the boy. He learns valuable lessons and strengths from his new friend.








In this tale we meet Despereaux. He is a very tiny mouse with VERY large ears and a deep love for light. His entire family thinks there's something wrong with him right from birth. He also has the ability to read and refuses to eat the paper in books. We also meet a very troubled rat, and little Mig, a girl who was sold by her father. This is a story of hope and courage in the most impossible of settings. Anything is possible if you really try.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

You should come to book club! See my blog about next month's book info. We'd love to have you there!