Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

If You Were a Horse... Part 3

Once upon a time... in a land far, far away... lived a beautifully complicated young lady... Oh, who am I kidding? Poor Emile's life has been anything but a fairy tale as of late. Thus the image of shooting a horse comes to mind... AGAIN. As I explained in Part 2, Emile was put on an antibiotic (Bactrim) again. This time she was supposed to take it twice a day for a full month. Not a problem, she had already taken it along with the Keflex last time so we figured she was good to go. Wrongo! She ended up having a severe reaction to the Bactrim. I've heard people describe someone as being as red as a lobster. I always thought they were exaggerating, I learned they were not.Emile had been with her boyfriend, Matt, when she called me around 2pm on Sunday. She said she was dying. You have to understand Emile.... she's always dying so I didn't get alarmed. She explained what was going on. I told her to run over to Dover FD to have Matt's dad (who's an EMT and was running on the rig that day) check her out. From what she was describing it sounded like an allergic reaction and I needed to know how serious it was. I got a call from Chris a short time later and decided to have her stop the antibiotic, get some Benadryl, and ride it out. Five hours later I got another call saying she was worse. This time I told Chris (who was home from work now) to head to the hospital and I'd meet them there.Long story short, Em was lobster red, swollen, itching, had a fever of 100.9, and her eyes were totally blood shot. She was miserable. After 7 hours, a bolus IV, and 3 different IV meds, we were heading home. We were both exhausted and fell into bed at 4am. The antibiotic was changed and she'll be on a steroid for a few more days. What a mess. Can you see why I'm thinking of horses???

No comments: