Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hopes and Fears

With my surgery date only 18 days away, I'm getting more and more excited and a bit more apprehensive at the same time. So much is riding on this procedure. I have an opportunity to "start over" again. My future depends on how well things go... not only on the day of surgery but for the long term.As I've explained before, with all my co-morbidity factors, I'm a walking time bomb. I know I have to do this in order to survive AND have a good quality of life. In addition to the health improvements Gastric Bypass surgery will give me, here are some of the other things I'm looking forward to:
  • Taking less medications
  • Crossing my legs when I sit
  • Riding a bike
  • Walking without losing my breath
  • Not being scared when I sit on certain chairs
  • Fitting into tight seats
  • Going up stairs without my knees hurting
  • Fitting in the seat belts in all types of vehicles
  • Not dreading stepping on scales
  • Not worrying about embarrassing my daughters/family
  • Shopping "off the rack"
  • Not being judged because of my size
  • Living to see my grandchildren
  • Living.... PERIOD
I will admit that I'm scared. Not so much of the surgery itself. I'm confidant that everything will be just fine on that end. What I'm most scared of is not keeping the weight off. To that end I'm setting some goals to help me maintain a healthy weight.
  • I have joined a gym
  • I have started walking daily
  • My personal *stop* number for weight gain is 3lbs. If I gain 3lbs., I'll go back to eating the initial post-surgery diet....
  • I will continue attending support meetings. I have found that there are people who are up to 8 years post surgery still attending meetings.
  • I will continue blogging about my journey. Seeing it in writing is a motivation for me.
  • I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON MYSELF AGAIN
Stay tuned......

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Don't forget, you have a lot of people behind you!
Did you join the Y? I've found that it is much better than any old gym. It is more of a community. :) And you have lots of friends who go/work there. :) They also do financial assistance.

J, E, M & I said...

So Proud of you!! If you need anything please ask!! :)

We Three Queens said...

Thanks, Jamie and Emily. I'm truly excited to be coming down to the wire (so to speak). I'm beyond ready to start my new life. Jamie, I joined Planet Fitness. I have an appt. with the trainer on the 12th to set up my own custom plan. Of course things will change along the way as I recover from surgery, but I'm still on my way. ☺

Cheri said...

Man, I wish I were there to go thru this life-changing process with you~~ especially going to the gym!!

Good goals and great motivation! I know you will live spectacularly!!