Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, July 9, 2010

To Breathe or Not to Breathe

That is the question. With the heat wave we've been enduring the past 6 days, my poor lungs have become stressed. I did well until Wednesday before beginning to have trouble catching by breath. Fortunately this time I didn't wait to seek medical help. See, I told you I learn..... eventually.For the past month I've been using an Albuterol Inhaler with a spacer (so more of the medication gets into my lungs where it's needed). Yesterday I called Dr. K. and asked if I could use it more often than once every 4 hours. He bumped it up to once every 2 hours with the instruction that if I didn't improve by today he would need to see me.After struggling to breathe since 2:30am today, I went in to the doctor. After a chest X-ray which came back clear, he put me on a steroid for 5 days and prescribed a Nebulizer so I can do my own breathing treatments at home. This is the unit I got. It's portable and can even be used by hooking the power source into a vehicle lighter. I'll be doing treatments every 6 hours for at least 3 or 4 days until things settle back down. At least I'm not in the hospital again. Woo Hoo!!!!

No comments: