Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Youth Conference 09'

 
Posted by Picasa
Two weeks ago Emile went to Youth Conference. The theme was "Heaven. Don't Miss It For The World." At first I wasn't sure if she was going to go or not. She's at that "church isn't cool" phase of her life. Being the type of parent I am, and learning lessons from an LDS parenting coach, I am determined not to force her to attend church or church sponsored functions. I encourage her to do so, but the choice is ultimately hers to make. To force her would be the same as Satan wanting to force us to follow the plan of salvation. At any rate, she did go. When she returned home she was filled with stories and was truly glad she had gone. The spirit had touched her heart and she even cried when she shared some of the more spiritual experiences she had. She even attended one of the classes my nephew and his wife (Andy & Jamie) conducted. It was about dating.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has an inspired youth program. Of that I have no doubt. I'm thankful for it. I'm also thankful for the knowledge I have of the potential each of us have. Our individual journeys are just that.... individual, however, we all have the guidance we need to make it through this mortal experience. Many will not agree with my parenting approach, and that's ok. I just know what is working for my family... and when all is said and done, our salvation is ours to achieve in our own way. Such is the reward (and resulting consequences) of one of the blessings we have received through our Savior.... Agency.

2 comments:

Mary said...

look at all those kids dancing. oh i miss that part of my life sometimes. also i recognized some kids from my ward from the other huge group shot.

Beckie said...

I am so glad she had a great time! Way to be a supportive mommy.