Inspirational Thoughts

Friday, June 12, 2009

Not To Me

I'm the type of person who could easily be described as a realist. I have a very open and candid relationship with my children... as well as the majority of people I have contact with. When it comes to raising my children, they will tell you I'm not into sugar coating issues to make them feel better. I've always taught using correct terms, guided them through "real life" scenarios, and allowed for some "questionable" choices to be made by the girls. Having said that, even I was somewhat caught off guard with what we're dealing with at the moment.

Long story short.... parents, take the time to educate and RE-EDUCATE your children about the dangers lurking out there in "technology land." Emile was sent a text message from a man posing as a 17 year old. It turned out he was at least 23 (that's the age he's telling her... I think he may be older than that). After nearly 6 weeks of trying to explain my concern for her safety... as well as the probability that this man is a sexual predator and she's in danger, the situation escalated to the point of us having the police here 3 times yesterday (including the Chief of Police), beefed up patrols past our house, as well as welfare phone calls to Emile today from the Chief.Even though we've discussed the dangers involved in internet predators, child abductions, no means no, staying in public places, etc., Emile let her guard down. She opened the door to someone who has the potential to cause her serious and permanent harm. I know she's upset and feels stupid about being taken advantage of, however, I'm pretty sure she still doesn't realize how much danger she is in.... until the police catch this guy. No matter how much I have taught her, it hasn't been enough.

The point.... talk, talk, talk, and talk some more. Don't ever stop talking to your children. Keep the lines open. Fortunately for me, Emile felt that she could tell me what was going on.... even though she knew I wasn't happy with the situation. She may have saved her own life. The police are taking this extremely serious. I hope by posting this, someone else out there will read it and sit down to talk to their children. It's NEVER too early, nor is it EVER too late. Do it today!

3 comments:

Donsher said...

Hope they catch the CREEP soon!

Beckie said...

Oh Brenda, I am so sorry! Poor Emile. I hope that this is resolved soon and the criminal is apprehended!

Jamie said...

Seriously, I hope they find that creep!!! We knew something wasn't right when Cat hadn't even heard of him at VoTech.