Inspirational Thoughts

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Love From Charlie

I have a very special client I work with every Monday thru Friday. His name is Charlie and he is 34 years old. Charlie is profoundly mentally retarded and he has cerebral palsy. He is completely dependant on the care of others for his entire well being. I have had the honor of caring for Charlie a little over 7 years now. While Charlie may not be able to communicate verbally with me, he has his own special way of letting me know he is aware I am with him... and that he appreciates me. He always has a smile for me.. well almost always. If he doesn't smile it's because something is seriously wrong with him. He truly is a special spirit. He is one of God's chosen ones.

Since Charlie can't take care of all the "little" details, his mother Rita does. She also has a way of making sure those who help with Charlie know how much they are valued and appreciated, too. For example.......

Aren't these absolutely beautiful? They arrived for me on my birthday. I was so surprised. I love fresh flowers and this was truly a lovely arrangement.

Rita, thank you so much for remembering me on my special day. I know you have tons on your plate, but to know you thought of me means more than you know. I'm certain if Charlie could say it himself, he'd let me know so very much. Thanks again for everything.

No comments: