Inspirational Thoughts

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Saying Goodbye

Today was the funeral for Dianna Sue Tibbs. As funerals go, it was a very nice service. Gladfelter Funeral Home was in charge of making the burial arrangements. They were the same funeral home that worked with Lesa's family at the time of her death. Lucy is the director, and may I just state that she is an amazing lady. She was positively wonderful to work with both times. I cannot begin to imagine how challenging her job can be, but she is perfectly suited to do it. I have decided that when my time comes, I want Gladfelter's to handle my arrangements.

A few days after Tibbsette passed, Tibbs asked if Emile would give the opening prayer, and if I would give a eulogy. I was a little surprised. Of course I said yes. It was an honor to share some of my thoughts about a special friend. I had no idea just how difficult it was going to be. It was much harder for me to give this eulogy than it was to give Lesa's. I'm not sure why that is though. Suffice it to say, I got through it, and I truly hope it helped her grieving family.

In addition to my remarks, Tibbsette's sister, Linda, spoke about what it was like growing up with her. There were a lot of chuckles! Dare I say that Tibbsette was a bit of a "free-thinker." No wonder I liked her. Next, her daughter, Sherry spoke about the relationship she had with her mother. She did a great job. Again, some laughter was shared by all. Following Sherry's remarks, Brandon Bushey, a close family friend, spoke. He talked about the promises of eternal life, as well as the importance of using this mortal experience to prepare for our next sojourn. When he concluded his talk, Tibbs spoke. What a good man he is. He had married Dianna when she was "18 years old... by a week." They spent 51 years together! How cool is that??? It had to be incredibly hard for him to say goodbye to his sweetheart, but he did so with amazing strength and poise. Finally, Bishop Gogna shared some closing remarks. He touched on some of what each of us had shared in our remarks. As was the case during the entire funeral, his message resonated deep within my heart and mind.
Following the memorial service, we drove to Susquehanna Memorial Gardens in Dallastown. Brother Van Tassell dedicated the grave. It was a very cold day, so the graveside service was brief. Everyone went back to the church for a meal, which was served by the Relief Society sisters. Everyone talked and shared fond memories... not only of Tibbsette, but of Lesa as well. It was wonderful being surrounded by so many people who loved both of these ladies.

I will end this post by saying that I am grateful for the friendship I share with the Tibbs family. It has been a humbling experience to be included in such pivotal moments. Though there is sadness and our hearts ache, there is also heartwarming memories we hold near and dear. I am thankful for the opportunity I have had to serve the Tibbs family. I also look forward to the days, weeks, months, and years of friendship we have ahead of us. And most importantly, I cannot wait until I get to see Lesa and Tibbsette on the other side of the veil.

No comments: