Inspirational Thoughts

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Something's Missing...

There is something I've been missing. I missed it last year. So far I have missed it this year. What I'm missing is something that brings me a feeling of peace. I love watching it as it arrives. I love the quiet hush that accompanies its arrival. Everything appears fresh and new. It is pristine. For reasons I can't quite explain, when it arrives I feel refreshed and energized. There's a magical quality to it. Strange, but true.
So, what is it I've been missing?

SNOW!
When I lived in Arizona and Utah, we had enough snow that I got my "fix." It never seemed to get old. Perhaps I'm weird, but I truly do enjoy snow. I'm feeling a little antsy right now. I've been seeing news coverage about snowstorms out west and in the southeast, but nothing of significance has happened here in our area for a long time. I need a good snowstorm.
I want to make a snow angel. Who can't say that was a wonderful memory from their childhood?
And then there's the snowman. Everyone needs to build a snowman at least once in their lifetime.
One must take time to build snow forts as well. What would life be without a battle fought in the chill of winter?

When Emile and Brie were younger I used to read a lot of stories to them. Two of their favorites were about snowmen. Imagine that! Even I enjoyed the stories. Could it be the magic of snow I mentioned earlier?
 Last year I discovered another wonderful story. It's about Snowflake Bentley (I'll bet you couldn't figure that out by the title). I had never heard about him until I was in the library with my 3rd grade kiddos. What a wonderful story about an amazing man. 
I won't provide any more "clues" as to who Snowflake Bentley is. You won't be disappointed when you read the book.

For now I have got to continue to dream of my missing friend. Each time a snowstorm seems to be developing or approaching, I feel excited.... almost like I did when I was a child waiting for the first snowfall of the winter. I'm still waiting. Until the snow does arrive, I'll have to be satisfied with the next best thing. 
A snow globe.

No comments: