Inspirational Thoughts

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Seeing Green

How many of you remember these? I'm not sure why, but the past few days I've been thinking about S&H Green Stamps. I remember both my mom and my grandma collecting Green Stamps. It was loads of fun for us to lick the back of the stamps and put them in the Saver Books.
Every time we went to the grocery store or filled up on gas, we'd earn so many Green Stamps. I know Mom always went to locations where the S&H sign was displayed.
I also remember looking through the catalog. I positively loved catalogs when I was a kid. It was wonderful to turn the pages and discover different items you could get. Once an item was decided upon, we'd start saving up the stamps in the books. When we had enough stamps we knew we could either order from the catalog or go to the local redemption store. There was one just up the road from Grandma's house.
The stamps were found mainly from the 1930's though the late 1980's. Silly as it sounds, I looked forward to becoming an adult and collecting Green Stamps so I could "purchase" my own items with them. I did collect them in my very early 20's, and I may have even redeemed them for an item or two before the company stopped operations. It was sad to see them go. Just another memory from days gone by.

No comments: