Inspirational Thoughts

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Six Down... And Now We Wait

Well, here we are. I can't believe it's been six months already... but it has, and here is everything I've done to get to this point....

1. Attended 6 weight management classes.
2. Attended 4 support group meetings.
3. Had 12 vials of blood taken to be tested.
4. Consulted with a physical therapist.
5. Consulted with a psychiatrist.
6. Consulted with a pulmonologist.
7. Consulted with a cardiologist.
8. Consulted with a dietitian.
9. Attended 3 appointments with the bariatric surgeon.
10. Had a follow-up stress echo cardiogram.
11. Had a follow-up pulmonary function test.

I met with Dr. Monk on Monday (yesterday) to go over all the information for the last time and to confirm which type of procedure I'm requesting. The formal request has now been submitted to the insurance company for the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. It could take up to 6 weeks to get the authorization. Once the authorization is received, I have the following left to do....

1. Meet with the bariatric nurse to get the 11 day prep instructions and supplies.
2. Consult with a vascular surgeon to get the blood clot filter information.
3. See Dr. Monk one last time before the actual surgery.
4. AND, last but not least, set the actual surgery date. I was hoping for mid May (the 17th to be exact), but it may be closer to the end of May. If I can't get it by then, I'll be forced to wait until the last week of June. I really don't want to have to do that, so I'm praying for a quick and positive answer from the insurance company.
My last formal class discussion was about exactly what will happen from the moment you enter the hospital until you discharge. We saw pictures of the operating room and patient rooms. We were also told about exactly what the nurses will be doing post-op... like getting us up to walk about an hour after we're in recovery, giving us a bed bath once we're in our room, measuring fluid intake and urine output, keeping an eye on the incisions, coaching us on our breathing and coughing exercises, helping us get up and continue to walk, etc). We found out about the test we have the day after surgery to make sure there's no leaking from the pouch or intestinal sutures, and what will happen if there is. It was a very informative class. To be honest, it's a little scary. A lot can go wrong. The rewards far outweigh the risk in the long run though. I keep telling myself that everything is going to go well and that I'm going to be just fine.

3 comments:

*Mom To Five* said...

You'll do just great! I went through it and even though I felt I was in a blur, I was never in actual pain. I had my ups and downs, but, thats life. The surgery is the easiest part.....the real test is once you're home and you're now learning an entirely new way to eat and live. Its scarey and exciting at the same time. I wish you the best! Tell Dr. Monk that Nancy Jones says hello! lol I had mine in May of 2004. He may not remember me, but I remember him~

We Three Queens said...

Thanks, Nancy. I'll be sure and pass your hello on when I see Dr. Monk. I'm so ready on one hand, and so not ready on the other. I'm excited and scared. I know this is the best thing I can do for myself and I want to do everything in my power to succeed at remaining healthy and active for the rest of my life. Thanks for your encouraging thoughts. I truly appreciate them.

J, E, M & I said...

You have been busy... I wish u the very best!! Love ya!!